Angle when a projectile is launched at a height from the ground

In summary, the maximum horizontal displacement of a projectile launched from ground level is achieved at an angle of projection of 45 degrees. However, when launched from a height above the ground, the maximum displacement is achieved at an angle slightly less than 45 degrees. To determine the angle at which a projectile should be launched from a given height to achieve maximum horizontal displacement, the equation sinα = 1/√(2 - 2gh/u^2) can be used, where h is the height, u is the initial speed, and α is the angle of projection. This can be derived by eliminating time in the equations for vertical and horizontal displacement, and using calculus to maximize the horizontal displacement.
cookiecrumbzz
This a question from projectile motion. This is NOT "homework"; it's a concept that got me thinking.

When a projectile is launched from the ground level and it falls back on the same (ground) level, the horizontal displacement is maximised if the angle of projection (with respect to the horizontal) is 45 degrees.

BUT when the projectile is launched from a height above the ground, and it falls onto the ground level, the maximum horizontal displacement is covered if the angle of projection is slightly less than 45 degrees.

[PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED THUMBNAIL]

My question is, what relation can we derive to determine the angle theta (w.r.t. the horizontal) at which the projectile should be launched from that height h so as to get maximum horizontal displacement M? That is, what is the relation between theta, h, R and M as per the illustration (attached)?
R is the horizontal displacement if the angle of projection at h were 45 degrees.

Attachments

• projectile_motion.JPG
    projectile_motion.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 529
Physics news on Phys.org
The basic equations you need to work with are (ignoring air resistance):
0 = h + vtsinθ - gt2/2 (process stops when you hit the ground)
d = vtcosθ

d = horizontal distance, t = time of flight, v = initial speed of projectile, g = accceleration due to gravity

Eliminate t to get d as a function of θ. Use calculus to maximize d.

Try this:
##sin \alpha = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 - \frac{2gh}{u^2}}}##

(Negative value of 'h' needs to be applied for points below. )

(I know I am not supposed to post answers here but I guess it is easier than telling you how to work it out.)

Deriving that is your homework.

Last edited:
cookiecrumbzz said:
This a question from projectile motion. This is NOT "homework"; it's a concept that got me thinking.

But it certainly could be, so to the homework forum with it.

mathman said:
The basic equations you need to work with are (ignoring air resistance):
0 = h + vtsinθ - gt2/2 (process stops when you hit the ground)
d = vtcosθ

d = horizontal distance, t = time of flight, v = initial speed of projectile, g = accceleration due to gravity

Eliminate t to get d as a function of θ. Use calculus to maximize d.

Thanks. That does give me the relation I wanted!
(Btw, I got this from Wolfram|Alpha.)

Related to Angle when a projectile is launched at a height from the ground

1. What is the angle at which a projectile should be launched from the ground to achieve maximum distance?

The optimal angle at which a projectile should be launched from the ground to achieve maximum distance is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the longest horizontal range while still maintaining a high vertical displacement.

2. How does the angle of launch affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The angle of launch directly affects the trajectory of a projectile. A higher angle will result in a steeper trajectory and a shorter distance, while a lower angle will result in a flatter trajectory and a longer distance.

3. Can a projectile be launched at any angle and still reach the same distance?

No, the angle at which a projectile is launched will affect the distance it travels. The optimal angle for maximum distance is 45 degrees, but any angle between 0 and 90 degrees can be used to launch a projectile.

4. How does the initial height of a projectile affect the angle at which it should be launched?

The initial height of a projectile does not affect the angle at which it should be launched. The optimal angle for maximum distance remains 45 degrees regardless of the initial height.

5. What is the relationship between the angle of launch and the speed of the projectile?

The angle of launch does not have a direct relationship with the speed of the projectile. However, a higher angle may result in a longer flight time, allowing the projectile to travel a greater distance and reach a higher speed before hitting the ground.