Angle, range and extension in projectile motion?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of a trebuchet and how to adjust the launch angle and rubber band extension to achieve a desired range. The spring constant and equations for kinetic and gravitational potential energy are mentioned. The speaker also suggests collecting data through repeated tests for further investigation. Ultimately, the goal is to find the relationship between launch angle, extension, and range to accurately land the mass at a desired spot.
donkeycopter
We have a trebuchet which we can adjust the launch angle, and how far the rubber band is pulled back (extension). The rubber band spring constant is constant throughout. I need to find the relationship between the angle of launch and range, and the relationship between the extension and range. This should allow me to finally be given a range, and adjust the angle and extension so as to make the mass land at that spot.
We are given no equations, but I have been using the kinetic and gravitational potential energy equations.I have trial data in which I have calculated the spring constant - at 184 n/m.

I have calculated an equation which shows EPE = Fx/2 (the area under the trial data graph is EPE, as it is a force (F) vs extension (x) graph).

On the net I found the equation: u = [tex]\sqrt{Rg/2sin20}[/tex]

R-range
g-gravityHow should I go about solving this? We need to collect data from repeated tests etc, its an investigation.

Thanks a lot! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy in the spring is 1/2kx2 which is converted into KE as the mass leaves the rubber band.

so you will have by conservation of energy 1/2kx2 = 1/2 mv2 with v being your initial velocity.

rock.freak667 said:
The energy in the spring is 1/2kx2 which is converted into KE as the mass leaves the rubber band.

so you will have by conservation of energy 1/2kx2 = 1/2 mv2 with v being your initial velocity.

So I shouldn't get the speed at the top of the ramp, so it would be KE + MGH?

What else can I do?

Related to Angle, range and extension in projectile motion?

1. What is the difference between angle, range, and extension in projectile motion?

Angle refers to the direction at which a projectile is launched, while range is the horizontal distance traveled by the projectile before it hits the ground. Extension, also known as height, is the vertical distance traveled by the projectile.

2. How do these three variables affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The angle determines the initial velocity and direction of the projectile, while range and extension are affected by the initial velocity and the force of gravity. Changing any of these variables can alter the trajectory of the projectile.

3. How does the angle of launch affect the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is maximized when it is launched at an angle of 45 degrees. As the angle increases or decreases, the range decreases.

4. What is the relationship between range and extension in projectile motion?

The range and extension of a projectile are independent of each other. This means that changing one variable does not directly affect the other. However, they both depend on the initial velocity and the force of gravity.

5. Can the range and extension of a projectile be equal?

Yes, in some cases, the range and extension of a projectile can be equal. This occurs when the projectile is launched at an angle of 90 degrees, also known as a vertical launch. In this case, the projectile will go straight up and then fall back down in the same spot, resulting in equal range and extension.