Angle of Refraction for Red & Blue Light

In summary, using Snell's law and the given index of refraction values for red and blue light, the angles of refraction for white light incident on a diamond at 30.0 degrees are 30.6 degrees for red and 29.5 degrees for blue. This difference in angles results in a separation of white light into a spectrum of colors, similar to a prism.
ahrog

Homework Statement

The index of refraction for a diamond for red light, 656 nm, is 2.410, while that for blue light, 434 nm, is 2.450. Suppose white light is incident on the diamond at 30.0 degrees. Find the angles of refraction for these two colors.

Homework Equations

n1sinangle of incidence= n2sinangle of refraction

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that I use Snell's law, to find the two angles of refraction. I'm not sure if this is the right formula to use, however.

First, I changed the formula to be:
sinangle of refraction=n1sinangle of incidence/n2

Sin (r) = (2.410 x sin30)/(2.450)
=29.5 degrees for blue

and the second:
sin (r) = (2.450 x sin30)/(2.410)
=30.6 degrees for red

I don't know if this was the right way to do it... And I'm not sure if I attached the right color refraction to the right angle for the answers...

Physics news on Phys.org
White light means that the light is composed of the red and blue.

The red light will bend at one angle across the air interface with the diamond and blue at another.

The index of refraction then is changing from air (n=1) to that of red for the red angle and that of blue for the blue angle.

The difference in angle will create a spectrum separation like a prism produces from sunlight right?

Okay, that makes sense. So all I have to do is change the n to 1.00 and it'll work. Thanks!

Related to Angle of Refraction for Red & Blue Light

1. What is the angle of refraction for red and blue light?

The angle of refraction for red and blue light varies depending on the medium through which the light travels. In general, red light has a longer wavelength and therefore a smaller angle of refraction compared to blue light, which has a shorter wavelength and a larger angle of refraction.

2. How does the angle of refraction for red and blue light differ?

The angle of refraction for red and blue light differs due to the differences in their wavelengths. Red light has a longer wavelength and therefore a smaller angle of refraction, while blue light has a shorter wavelength and a larger angle of refraction.

3. What factors affect the angle of refraction for red and blue light?

The angle of refraction for red and blue light is affected by the refractive index of the medium, the angle of incidence, and the wavelength of the light. Different mediums have different refractive indices, which can cause variations in the angle of refraction. Additionally, as the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases. Lastly, the wavelength of the light plays a role in determining the angle of refraction, with longer wavelengths resulting in smaller angles and vice versa.

4. How is the angle of refraction for red and blue light measured?

The angle of refraction for red and blue light can be measured using a protractor or a device called a spectrometer. The light is directed through a prism, which separates the different wavelengths of light. By measuring the angles of the different colors, including red and blue, the angle of refraction can be calculated.

5. What is the significance of the angle of refraction for red and blue light?

The angle of refraction for red and blue light is significant because it allows us to understand how light behaves as it passes through different mediums. It also plays a crucial role in the formation of rainbows and other optical phenomena. Understanding the angle of refraction is essential in fields such as optics, astronomy, and meteorology.