Angle of Projection from Height and Range

In summary, the question asks for the angle of projection for a projectile fired with a horizontal range three times its maximum height. Using the equations R = Vo^2sin(2theta)/g, H = (Vo sin(theta))^2/2g, and R = 3H, we can cancel out Vo, g, and sin(theta) to leave 4/3 tan(theta) = 1. However, the correct answer is tan(theta) = 4/3, not the previously mentioned 1. This mistake was due to the confusion between tan and cot, as well as tiredness and lack of focus.
atmega-ist

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired in such a way that that its horizontal range is three times its maximum height. What is the angle of projection?

Homework Equations

R = Vo2sin(2theta)/g

H = (Vosin(theta)2/2g

R = 3H

Cancel Voo, g and sin(theta) to leave 4/3 tan(theta) = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

This is, as I've seen, not a new question. I'm good with how to solve it but where I see it should be tan(theta) = 4/3, I keep getting (as stated above) 4/3tan(theta) = 1 where if I were to bring the 4/3 to the other side I would end up with tan(theta) = 3/4.

My only problem is that I can't figure out how this 4/3 is ending up on the opposite side of the tan(theta). I don't know if I'm completely missing something or if it's just because it's 1:30 am...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now I feel like a REAL genius...

tan is sin/cos... NOT cos/sin...

long time since trig + reading too quickly + no sleep = embarrassment by simple math (and negative signs)

sorry

Related to Angle of Projection from Height and Range

1. What is the angle of projection?

The angle of projection is the angle at which an object is launched or thrown from a certain height, relative to the horizontal plane.

2. How is the angle of projection determined?

The angle of projection is determined by the initial velocity of the object and the gravitational acceleration of the Earth.

3. How does the angle of projection affect the range of an object?

The angle of projection has a direct impact on the range of an object. A higher angle of projection will result in a longer range, while a lower angle will result in a shorter range.

4. Can the angle of projection be changed after the object is launched?

No, the angle of projection cannot be changed after the object is launched. It is determined at the moment of launch and remains constant throughout the object's trajectory.

5. How does the height of the launch point affect the angle of projection?

The height of the launch point does not directly affect the angle of projection. However, a higher launch point may allow for a greater range if the angle of projection remains the same.