Angle of deflection in a prism

In summary, the conversation centers around a question regarding how to find the angle of deflection in a prism. The participants discuss various aspects of the problem, including the use of trigonometry, the purpose of the homework section on the forum, and the specific angles in the given diagram. The conversation ends with one participant expressing frustration at their inability to understand the problem, while the other offers to continue helping if they change their mind. Overall, the conversation is focused on finding a solution to the initial question.
Lindsayyyy
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how I get to the angle of deflection in a prism?

How do I get to

[tex] \delta=\alpha_{1}-\beta_{1}+\alpha_{2}-\beta_{2}[/tex]

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 629
Physics news on Phys.org
Reading forum rules:
DO NOT POST YOUR HOMEWORK/COURSEWORK QUESTIONS HERE
and posting your question at the right place.

Hey Lindsayyyy! :smile:

Can you tell what the angles are in the top triangle, bounded by the dotted lines and the red line?

xts said:
Reading forum rules:
DO NOT POST YOUR HOMEWORK/COURSEWORK QUESTIONS HERE
and posting your question at the right place.

Ah yes, I missed that. :smile:
I'll ask a moderator to move this thread.

Well, this is for understanind purpose. I thought homework section is actually for homework.
And actually I can't tell you :( I'm quite bad at trigonometry. I know that the sum in an angle is 180° but I don't know how I can express the unknown angles. I guess I find ,for example, alpha1 etc on another place in the drawing again, but I have no idea :/

Ah, but the homework section is also for coursework, and I think this qualifies.

Okay, let's take it a step back.
If we look at the angle α1.
What would be the angle opposite to this angle?
That is the angle on the inside of the prism, between the normal and the dotted line?

(Do you know what I mean with "the normal"?)

Let me mark it in the drawing.

Can you tell me what the angle marked with red is?

attachment.php?attachmentid=37321&stc=1&d=1311110414.jpg

Attachments

• Unbenannt_prism2.JPG
    Unbenannt_prism2.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 823
This is so distressing, I guess I should rather exmatricualte myself :/ I can't.

edit: just forget about it, this is senseless, would take hours for me to understand this, don't want to waste anyones time with this **** to be honest

Well, it's certainly not my intention to distress you.
But I don't feel like my time is wasted, so as long as you're up to it, so am I. :shy:

Actually, you should be able to see that the angle that I marked in red is about the same size as α1.
And it is the same size! :smile:

Are you? Up to it I mean?
If you don't want to continue that's fine too of course.

as my english isn't that good, I'd rather say embarrasing instead of distressing. That I'am not even able to see such easy things. Goes on and on, as you already see in my other threads :/ I'm off to bed, thanks for your help though

All right.
If you change your mind and you do want to continue, just post in this thread.

Sleep well.

P.S.: and no, the only thing I saw in your other threads was an interest to learn stuff like electronics.

Related to Angle of deflection in a prism

1. What is the angle of deflection in a prism?

The angle of deflection in a prism is the angle at which light is bent as it passes through the prism. It is the difference between the incident angle (the angle at which the light enters the prism) and the emergent angle (the angle at which the light exits the prism).

2. How is the angle of deflection calculated?

The angle of deflection can be calculated using Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the incident angle to the sine of the emergent angle is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two media (in this case, air and the material of the prism).

3. Does the angle of deflection vary for different colors of light?

Yes, the angle of deflection can vary for different colors of light due to the phenomenon of dispersion. This means that different colors of light have different wavelengths and therefore different refractive indices, causing them to be bent at different angles as they pass through the prism.

4. How does the shape of a prism affect the angle of deflection?

The shape of a prism can affect the angle of deflection because it determines the path that the light takes through the prism. A larger prism with a larger surface area will cause more deflection, while a smaller prism with a smaller surface area will cause less deflection.

5. Can the angle of deflection be controlled?

Yes, the angle of deflection can be controlled by changing the material or shape of the prism, or by changing the wavelength of the light passing through the prism. This is why prisms are used in various scientific and technological applications, such as in cameras, telescopes, and spectrometers.