Angle & energy of compton electrons

In summary, you can use a Monte Carlo simulation to calculate the angle of the Compton electron with respect to the photon that scattered it, and you need an analytical formula for the distribution of the variable that describes the process.
sofrid
I'd like to do a Monte Carlo-simulation of the Compton electron energy distribution. The scattered photon angle is easy to simulate by random numbers, which easily gives the scattered photon energy by the classic hv' = hv/(1 + hv*(1-cos(theta))/511) [keV]. But what about the Compton electrons? I do not want to use tables. I'm stuck with the problem... Can someone enlighten me in how to proceed...?

Physics news on Phys.org
There should be an analytical expression for the angle (phi) of the Compton electron with respect to the same axis (direction of the original photon) from which theta (angle of scattered photon) is measured.

Momentum of Compton electron = - momentum of photon in the transverse direction if conservation of momentum applies.

Yes, if you know (or assume) the energy of the incoming photon, and either the energy or the direction of the outgoing photon, you can find the energy and direction of the recoiling electron by applying conservation of energy and momentum.

However:

sofrid said:
The scattered photon angle is easy to simulate by random numbers,

Not really. You don't say how you're choosing the angle, but it's not uniform in either [itex]\theta[/itex] or [itex]\cos \theta[/itex]. To get it right, you have to look up the differential cross section formula for Compton scattering, and use it to obtain a probability distribution for the angle.

sofrid said:
I'd like to do a Monte Carlo-simulation of the Compton electron energy distribution. The scattered photon angle is easy to simulate by random numbers, which easily gives the scattered photon energy by the classic hv' = hv/(1 + hv*(1-cos(theta))/511) [keV]. But what about the Compton electrons? I do not want to use tables. I'm stuck with the problem... Can someone enlighten me in how to proceed...?
You need to have an analytical formula for the distribution of any variable describing the process. [itex]e\gamma\rightarrow e\gamma[/itex] is described by only one independent variable (of course, you know the initial state, and you don't have final state's polarisations, right ?). It could be energy, it could be angle, for either particle. Once you have chosen one variable, you can calculate all others.

Now assume you have an analytical formula for the distribution of variable X in the range of your interest. Say you are interested in electron angles from 15 to 30 degrees for instance (it does not matter for the principle). I will assume your formula is normalized so that the maximum of the distribution is 1 in this range (I did not say integral, I said maximum). One way to proceed is the following : pick up a uniformly distributed value for your variable in the range. Compute the value of the distribution at this point. Pick up a random number between 0 and 1 (or the maximum of your distribution in the range). If the random number is lower that the value of the distribution, keep this event, proceed to compute all other kinematical variables, and save entry. Otherwise, if the random number is more than the value of the distribution, discard this event.

It is not quite what people call "fast Monte-Carlo" but probably close enough for your purposes. Additional hint : when calculating other variables, just go to the center of mass, where both particles carry the same (opposite) momentum, and apply energy conservation. That allows you to compute the momentum carried in the center of mass, and boosting back to the lab, you can easily contruct everything.

What people would call "fast Monte-Carlo" would amount to almost the same procedure, except that you would directly generate your independent variable according to its distribution instead of this "compare/discard or keep" method. Having just one independent variable, it should be quite good enough in practice.

Thank you all! :smile: I also found som info here:

http://geant4.cern.ch/G4UsersDocuments/UsersGuides/PhysicsReferenceManual/html/node26.html

Likes mariemarie

Related to Angle & energy of compton electrons

1. What is the Compton effect?

The Compton effect is a phenomenon in which a photon (light particle) collides with an electron, causing the photon to lose energy and the electron to gain energy. This results in a change in the wavelength and direction of the photon.

2. How is the angle of the Compton electron related to its energy?

The angle of the Compton electron is directly related to its energy. As the energy of the photon increases, the angle at which the electron is scattered also increases. This is known as the Compton scattering angle and is described by the Compton formula.

3. What is the significance of the Compton electron angle and energy in X-ray imaging?

The angle and energy of Compton electrons play a crucial role in X-ray imaging. By measuring the angle and energy of the scattered electrons, scientists can determine the composition and structure of the material being imaged. This technique is known as Compton imaging and is used in medical and industrial X-ray imaging.

4. How does the energy of the incoming photon affect the energy of the Compton electron?

The energy of the incoming photon determines the maximum energy that the Compton electron can gain. This is known as the Compton edge and is calculated using the Compton formula. The actual energy of the Compton electron can vary depending on the scattering angle.

5. What factors can affect the angle and energy of Compton electrons?

The angle and energy of Compton electrons can be affected by various factors such as the energy of the incoming photon, the atomic number of the material, and the scattering angle. Additionally, the presence of other particles, such as other electrons or atomic nuclei, can also influence the angle and energy of the Compton electrons.