Is there really such a thing as TIME?

• Thread starter Euphoriet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation is about the concept of time and how it works. The participants discuss the idea that time slows down when traveling at high speeds and speeds up when traveling slowly. They also question if there is a "middle time" where time is unaffected by speed. The conversation concludes with a humorous remark about the possibility of returning clocks for a refund if time does not exist.
Euphoriet
I mean... what is time.. can someone explain to me how it works =-/... if you are going very fast.. then it means time is slowing down right... I mean.. time IS slowing down in an airplane.. so basically.. becuase you are going super fast.. time slows down so it takes less time to your destination as opposed to running somewhere...

but... how come ...

so does that mean that if you are going very slow.. time speeds up...?

is there like a middle time where.. if you go fast.. it slows down.. and if you almost stop.. it speeds up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there really such a thing as TIME?
I hope so! Else I'm going to return all those clocks and get a refund! :P

Yeah. It's a magazine.

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
Yeah. It's a magazine.

cookiemonster
And you're handsome too. :biggrin:

LOL you know.. I thought about Time the magazine when I made this post.. but I didnt htink anyone in this forum would post smartass response like that =-P

Euphoriet said:
LOL you know.. I thought about Time the magazine when I made this post.. but I didnt htink anyone in this forum would post smartass response like that =-P
Ooops, sorry, always expect a smartass response.

But you did pose a serious question...sorry, back on topic? :smile:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist... ;)

Besides, serious discussions about time go in a different forum, no?

cookiemonster

heh no problem... I guess I should have posted in the physics forum.. but I don't know.. it could be just a general discussion..

1. Is time a real concept or just a human invention?

Time is a real concept that exists in the natural world. It is a fundamental aspect of the universe that governs the sequence and duration of events.

2. Can time be measured objectively?

Yes, time can be measured objectively using standard units such as seconds, minutes, and hours. These units are based on natural phenomena, such as the Earth's rotation and the vibration of atoms, making them consistent and universal.

3. Does time flow in a linear or cyclical manner?

This is a debated topic among scientists. Some theories suggest that time flows in a linear manner, with events occurring in a continuous sequence. Others propose that time is cyclical, and events repeat themselves in a continuous loop.

4. Can time be observed or experienced?

While we cannot directly observe or experience time itself, we can observe and experience the effects of time, such as aging, growth, and decay. We can also measure the passage of time using clocks and other instruments.

5. Is time travel possible?

At this time, time travel is purely theoretical and has not been proven possible. Some theories suggest that time travel may be possible in certain circumstances, such as near the speed of light or through the use of wormholes. However, more research and technological advancements are needed to fully understand the concept of time travel.