Angle/Coordinate Calculation for two "Pulley" System

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's work on a project to compensate for periodic disturbances in a machine manufacturing company. They need to calculate the phase delay for the compensation signal and have been stuck on the mathematical calculations. They provide a diagram and explain the setup of the machine, and mention that they have found a potential solution on Wikipedia for a similar problem.
Dustin11H3
Hello everyone. This is my first post on here. I figured that I would give it a shot. Just as a quick background:
I'm studying electrical engineering and I'm working an internship for a machine manufacturing company now. One of the projects I have been assigned is to come up with a system to compensate periodic disturbances. To do this, I need to be able to calculate the phase delay so that the compensation signal I feed into the controller will have the proper amount of phase delay in it. Referring to my attached diagram, you can see there is a photo eye directly above the first "pulley". This first larger circle is a roll of toilet paper. As the machine takes paper away, or unwinds it, the bigger roll diameter gets smaller until it reaches the end of the roll (core diameter of 1.7 inches). Assuming that the photo eye is the zero point and working our way around the circle counter-clockwise, I need to calculate how much phase delay will be from when the photo eye sees the disturbance, to when the paper is unwinding off of the roll. As you can see in the diagram, when the unwind is rolling over the top this phase should be somewhere between (3*pi)/2 and 2*pi. When it is underwinding, it should be somewhere between pi and (3*pi)/2. I am really only trying to calculate one way as of now (overwinding) because I believe the math will be the same or very similar in nature when I figure out how to get this done.

I have attempted drawing many triangles (via scratch paper sorry for no shown work) and have been stuck in a loop with having not enough information to be able to solve the triangles. Theta (red) is the angle that I need. Keep in mind that the x,y point where the paper is leaving the unwind roll will be changing as the radius changes. The big roll is centered at (0,0) and the 2" diameter roll where the paper lands is centered at (8.5,-0.5) by the nature of the physical machine (I can't change that). I'm not sure that I did a great job detailing what I want but I've been stuck on this for about a week at my job and need to get an answer quickly. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to field them. Thank you!

Attachments

• PhysicsForumsUpload.pdf
    192.9 KB · Views: 323
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just as a follow up, found a solution that I think I can apply to this situation. Posting here for anyone who may need.

Wikipedia - Belt Problem (see also Pulley Problem)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_problem

Related to Angle/Coordinate Calculation for two "Pulley" System

1. How do you calculate the angle and coordinates for a two-pulley system?

To calculate the angle and coordinates for a two-pulley system, you will need to use trigonometric functions. First, find the length of the ropes connecting the pulleys and the distance between the pulleys. Then, use the law of cosines to find the angle between the two ropes at the top of the pulley. Finally, use the law of sines to find the coordinates of the point where the two ropes meet at the bottom of the pulley.

2. What is the law of cosines and how is it used in angle and coordinate calculations for a two-pulley system?

The law of cosines is a trigonometric formula that relates the lengths of the sides of a triangle to the cosine of one of its angles. In a two-pulley system, this law is used to find the angle between the two ropes at the top of the pulley. This angle is necessary for calculating the coordinates of the point where the two ropes meet at the bottom of the pulley.

3. Can I use the law of sines to find the coordinates for any two-pulley system?

Yes, the law of sines can be used to find the coordinates of the point where two ropes meet at the bottom of a two-pulley system. However, the lengths of the ropes and the distance between the pulleys must be known in order for the law of sines to be applicable.

4. How accurate are the angle and coordinate calculations for a two-pulley system?

The accuracy of the calculations will depend on the accuracy of the measurements for the lengths of the ropes and the distance between the pulleys. It is important to use precise measurements and to follow the trigonometric formulas correctly in order to get an accurate result.

5. Are there any alternative methods for calculating the angle and coordinates for a two-pulley system?

Yes, there are other mathematical methods that can be used to calculate the angle and coordinates for a two-pulley system, such as vector calculations or using the Pythagorean theorem. However, these methods may be more complex and may require more advanced mathematical knowledge.