Angle between vectors that are both off set by a third vector

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle between two vectors that are relative to a third vector. The formula for finding this angle is given as theta = cos-1("vector a" * "vector b"), where "vector a" and "vector b" are 3D vectors at 90 degrees to each other. The individual is looking to offset "vector a" and "vector b" by another vector, "vector c", and has tried two methods with mixed results. The expert suggests that method one should work, as the dot product distributes, and explains that the angle between two vectors with another one added to each one of them is just the angle between the resultant vectors. The individual thanks the expert for their input and states that
IMK
Hello, was wondering if someone could help me with a little vector maths problem please.

What I need to find is the angle between two vectors that are derived from/relative to a third vector.

So what I having working/understood is that theta = cos-1(“vector a” * “vector b”) where “vector a” and “vector b” are 3d vectors at 90 deg to each other, x,y,z.
Basically the cos of the dot product of the two vectors…

What I now wish to do is to offset “vector a” and “vector b” by another vector, “vector c” and I have tried the following with mixed results.

(1) “vector a” = “vector a” - “vector c”, “vector b” = “vector b” - “vector c”
this returns an answer that is obviously incorrect.

(2) “vector a”= sqrt( “vector a” * “vector c”), “vector b” = sqrt(“vector b” *“vector c”), this returns an answer that seems to be correct as I can swap around the x,y,z values any of the vectors and the result seem to be consistent.

However I have no way of really proving the result, so can you help please?

Many thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
huh? the dot product is [tex]\vec{a}\bullet\vec{b}=|\vec{a}||\vec{b}|cos(\theta)[/tex]
the vectors do not have to be 90 degree apart but when they are cos(90)=1 so the formula just doesn't include the cos.

theres no reason why method one shouldn't work. the dot product distributes so a dot (b+c) =adotb +adot c

the angle between two with another one added to each one of them is just the angle between the resultant vectors. write everything out explicitly and you'll have angle of theta in terms of vector c

Many thanks

ice109 said:
huh? the dot product is [tex]\vec{a}\bullet\vec{b}=|\vec{a}||\vec{b}|cos(\theta)[/tex]
the vectors do not have to be 90 degree apart but when they are cos(90)=1 so the formula just doesn't include the cos.

theres no reason why method one shouldn't work. the dot product distributes so a dot (b+c) =adotb +adot c

the angle between two with another one added to each one of them is just the angle between the resultant vectors. write everything out explicitly and you'll have angle of theta in terms of vector c

Ice109,
Many thanks for your input, I have had time to think more about my problem and it is really only vector b that I need to adjust/rotate by vector c. So I will have a think about your input and see if I can figure a way to do it.
Again many thanks IMK

what is your problem. state is succinctly and maybe we can help

Related to Angle between vectors that are both off set by a third vector

1. What is the angle between two vectors that are both offset by a third vector?

The angle between two vectors that are both offset by a third vector is the angle formed between the two vectors when they are placed head to tail. This angle is also known as the included angle or interior angle.

2. How is the angle between two vectors that are both offset by a third vector calculated?

The angle between two vectors that are both offset by a third vector can be calculated using the dot product formula. This involves taking the dot product of the two vectors and dividing it by the product of their magnitudes. The arccosine of this value gives the angle between the two vectors in radians.

3. Can the angle between two vectors that are both offset by a third vector be greater than 180 degrees?

No, the angle between two vectors that are both offset by a third vector can never be greater than 180 degrees. This is because the dot product formula always gives the acute angle between the two vectors. If the angle between the two vectors is greater than 180 degrees, then the dot product will be negative.

4. How does the direction of the third vector affect the angle between two vectors that are both offset by it?

The direction of the third vector does not affect the angle between two vectors that are both offset by it. This is because the dot product formula takes into account the direction of the vectors, not just their magnitudes. Therefore, the angle between the two vectors will remain the same regardless of the direction of the third vector.

5. Can the angle between two vectors that are both offset by a third vector be negative?

Yes, the angle between two vectors that are both offset by a third vector can be negative. This occurs when the two vectors are in opposite directions and the dot product is negative. In this case, the angle between the two vectors would be the supplementary angle, which is greater than 180 degrees.