Angle between U and V when given perpendicular vectors A and B

In summary, orthogonal vectors are vectors that are perpendicular to each other, forming a 90 degree angle. This can be determined by using the dot product formula or calculating the angle between the two vectors. A vector cannot be orthogonal to itself. Orthogonal vectors have significance in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics, where they allow for simpler representation of complex systems. They are also used in real life applications such as creating 3D images, representing forces, designing structures, and identifying patterns in data.
jabber024

Homework Statement

vector A = 3U-V
vector B = U+2V
U and V are vectors
|U| = 3|V|
Given that vector A and vector B are perpendicular vectors, find the angle between vector U and vector V.

Homework Equations

A*B = |A||B|cos(∠AB)
A*A = |A|^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since A and B are perpendicular to each other that means that the dot product will equate zero because cos 90 deg = 0.
So substituting in the vectors I end up with something like

(3U-V)*(U+2V) = 0 = 3U*U + 5U*V - 2V*V

Given that any vector dot product itself gives you the magnitude of the vector squared and that we are trying to figure out the angle UV:
U*U = |U|^2
U*V = |U||V|cosθ
V*V = |V|^2
3U*U + 5U*V - 2V*V = 3|U|^2 + 5|U||V|cosθ - 2|V|^2

Rearrange: cosθ = (2|V|^2 - 3|U|^2)/(5|U||V|)

Substitute in |U| = 3|V| and you get -25/15. I can't get the inverse cos of a number greater than 1 and I can't figure out where I went wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Deleted - suggestion was wrong.

Last edited:
Oh I was trying to figure out what you meant by that, but I see you changed your suggestion. It's a real head scratcher, of all the stuff I've done with vectors, this question should work out the way I did it but nothing seems to yield a realistic result.

Of course, ##U## and ##V## could also be the zero vector...

Related to Angle between U and V when given perpendicular vectors A and B

1. What is an orthogonal vector?

An orthogonal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to another vector. This means that the two vectors form a 90 degree angle with each other.

2. How do you determine if two vectors are orthogonal?

To determine if two vectors are orthogonal, you can use the dot product formula. If the dot product of the two vectors is equal to 0, then they are orthogonal. Another way is to calculate the angle between the two vectors, if the angle is 90 degrees, then they are orthogonal.

3. Can a vector be orthogonal to itself?

No, a vector cannot be orthogonal to itself. In order for two vectors to be orthogonal, they must be different vectors that form a 90 degree angle with each other. A vector cannot form an angle with itself.

4. What is the significance of orthogonal vectors?

Orthogonal vectors are important in many mathematical and scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They allow us to represent complex systems and relationships in a simpler and more organized way.

5. How are orthogonal vectors used in real life applications?

Orthogonal vectors have a variety of real life applications. They are used in computer graphics to create 3D images, in physics to represent forces acting on an object, and in engineering to design structures and calculate forces. They are also used in data compression algorithms and in machine learning algorithms to identify patterns and relationships in data.