Angle between line and its shadow on a plane

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the angle between a line and its shadow on a vertical wall, given their respective angles with respect to the normal vector of the wall. One approach suggested using spherical coordinates, while another suggested using vectors and the dot product.
manderson010

Homework Statement

A line intersects a vertical wall at 40.78° (that is, 49.22° with respect to the normal vector of the wall). The line is contained within a vertical plane perpendicular to the wall such that the aforementioned angle is measured with respect to the plumb line dropped from the point of intersection. The line casts a shadow on the wall that is 68.04° from the plumb line. What is the angle between the line and its shadow?

Homework Equations

I haven't the foggiest. There's got to be a simple expression out there somewhere for this, but I've never encountered it before.

Thank you very much for your help!

added
After talking with a math professor from the College of Wooster this afternoon, I found that a better way to describe this would be in spherical coordinates. So, I guess my question now would be: how does one go about finding the angle between to rays given in polar coordinates?

Taking the normal vector to the wall as (radius, azimuth, zenith)=(1,0,0), the two rays (unit length for simplicity) would be (1, 0°, 49.22°) and (1, 68.04°, 90°).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I would be inclined to use "vectors" to do this. Setting up a coordinate system so that the z-axis is up the wall is the yz-plane, and the line is in the xz-plane, we have a vector, of length 1, pointing along the line, given by sin(40.78)i+ cos(40.78)k. The shadow, making an ange of 68.04 with the z- axis, would be along the unit vector sin(68.04)j+ cos(68.04)k. Now, you can find the angle between those vectors by using the dot product and the fact that [itex]u\cdot v= |u||v|cos(\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle you want to find.

Related to Angle between line and its shadow on a plane

1. What is the angle between a line and its shadow on a plane?

The angle between a line and its shadow on a plane is the angle formed between the line and the shadow, where the line is the object casting the shadow and the shadow is the projection of the line onto the plane.

2. How is the angle between a line and its shadow calculated?

The angle between a line and its shadow can be calculated using trigonometry, specifically the tangent function. The angle can be found by taking the inverse tangent of the length of the shadow divided by the length of the line.

3. Does the angle between a line and its shadow change based on the position of the object?

Yes, the angle between a line and its shadow can change based on the position of the object casting the shadow. As the object moves closer or farther away from the plane, the angle will change.

4. Is the angle between a line and its shadow affected by the angle of the sun?

Yes, the angle between a line and its shadow is affected by the angle of the sun. The angle of the sun determines the direction of the shadow and can change the length and angle of the shadow.

5. Can the angle between a line and its shadow be negative?

No, the angle between a line and its shadow cannot be negative. It is always measured as a positive angle, with 0 degrees being when the object is directly in line with its shadow on the plane.