Ancient Alchemy & Fire Magic Effects

In summary, a powder of aluminum and chlorine can be used to create a purple smoke that will then ignite.
Helios
In many fantasy books and movies, like Harry Potter for example, there are wizards or priest who perform "fire magic" by throwing various powders into a fire cauldron. The effect is a poof of smoke or a flash. I guess the intent is to evoke some spirit or something. My question is what agents were known or could have been known back in the age of alchemy that could produce any interesting effects. I just need some descriptions or leads for historical research and am not intending to experiment. I am not seeking anything dangerous or explosive, just some cheap effects that could have been known to magicians of maybe a 1000 years ago. My inquiry is therefore possibly historical as well as pertinent to chemistry.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Any highly flammable powder will do.

Thanks Borek, that was very informative. I would never have thought of that.

Bahaha, come on, it's only a joke.

Actually, it is not a joke. Trick is to have the substance finely powdered, so that it can create an aerozol.

I actually need to verify some ideas that I got for "magically" starting a campfire for a group I lead.
1. Potassium Permangante mixed with Glycerine will ignite?
2. Powdered Aluminum mixed with crushed Iodine Crystals and then wet with water will produce purple smoke and then ignite?
3. Powdered Chlorine (HTH pool chemicals) plus Pine Oil (PineSol) will also ignite?

The idea being to "magically" light a campfire for a ceremony.

http://www.unitednuclear.com/negx.htm

This shows how to start a fire with water. The site also sells the chemicals needed, and as far as my experience goes, they are pretty reliable.

philnow said:
Bahaha, come on, it's only a joke.

You can try it with flour. :approve:

on Tv's SurvivorMAN he really had to make fire so he sacrificed 2 things out of his first aid kit...simply by mixing he had a pretty violent fire.

anyone know what this could have been?

powdered aluminum works great , and so does sanded hardwood dust.

Related to Ancient Alchemy & Fire Magic Effects

1. What is ancient alchemy?

Ancient alchemy is a practice that originated in Egypt and Greece around 2000 BC. It was a combination of spiritual and scientific beliefs that focused on transforming base metals into gold and creating a universal panacea for curing diseases.

2. How did ancient alchemists perform their experiments?

Ancient alchemists used a variety of tools and techniques to perform their experiments, including mortars and pestles, alembics, and distillation apparatus. They also relied on natural elements such as fire, water, and earth to transform materials.

3. What is fire magic and how does it relate to alchemy?

Fire magic is a form of magic that is believed to harness the power of fire for various purposes. In alchemy, fire was seen as a symbol of transformation and purification, making it an essential element in the practice. Alchemists used fire to heat and transform materials in their experiments.

4. Were there any successful alchemists who achieved the transmutation of metals?

There is no documented evidence of any alchemist successfully transmuting base metals into gold. While some alchemists claimed to have achieved this feat, it is likely that they were using deception or self-delusion.

5. How did the practice of alchemy evolve over time?

Over time, the practice of alchemy evolved into modern chemistry as scientists began to use more empirical methods and discard the spiritual and mystical aspects of alchemy. However, some alchemical principles, such as the transmutation of elements, continue to have a place in modern science and technology.