Analyzing Transverse Wave Behavior on a Taut String

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the values a,b,c,d, the speed and direction of a wave, and the amplitude of the wave on a taut string carrying a sinusoidal wave. The method for calculating these values is by using the ratios of transverse displacements and the particle velocity relationship. The conversation also mentions the use of mathematical tools and potential resources for studying transverse and longitudinal wave motion.
big man
The transverse displacement (in cm) of a taut string carrying a sinusoidalwave is measured at points along its length close compared to the wavelength of the wave, and at time intervals small compared with the period of the wave. The results are: SEE ATTACHMENT

Determine the values a,b,c,d, the speed of and direction of the wave, and the amplitude of the wave.

This is the question that I'm having trouble with and I'd appreciate any help here, but first this is what I was thinking:

To determine a,b,c and d I thought that the ratios of the tranverse displacements would be the same. So you would calculate a as follows:

a = [(8.08)/(10.40)]*5.68
b = [(12.62)/(10.40)]*5.68

c and d would be calculated in a similar manner. However, I'm not entirely sure that it's correct.

As for the speed and direction of the wave I don't really have a clue. For the speed of the wave I was trying to use the particle velocity relationship:

particle velocity = dy/dt = c*(dy/dx)

So c = (dy/dt)*(dx/dy)

The problem here is that with my method for calculating the values of a,b,c and d, the displacements (y) are different over the same time interval, which means that I don't get a consistent value for the particle velocity. Also with how the question is setup you can't find the change in the distance along the string with a change in the transverse displacement.

Any help would be great.

Edit: OK I fixed the table, but if you can't see the word document just let me know.

Attachments

• Distance along the string.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are told that this is a sinusoidal wave. What is the most general description of a wave that you are given? It should look something like

S(x,t) = A Sin(bx + ct)

What you need to do is to use the information given to find the A ,b and c in the above expression.
What mathematical tools do you have at your disposal?

Yeah I had the sinusoidal bit, but I figured that you'd need to solve for the speed and direction first to then be able to solve for amplitude.

What do you mean by tools exactly?
We don't use any maths programs or anything like that, we just have a summary sheet of important results regarding transverse waves.

I was also wondering if there are any books that are particularly good university textbooks that cover the "Particles and Waves" topics like SHM, transverse wave motion and longitudinal wave motion and that maybe use different approaches (ie Lagrangian, hamiltonian & Newtonian).

Thanks

Well I've handed in the little that I did be it right or wrong :smile:

However, if any of you have time it would be cool to still work through this problem 'cause at least then I would know how to approach questions like this.

Thanks Integral for the initial post as well.

***bump*** anyone up for discussing any aspect of this question? :lol:

Related to Analyzing Transverse Wave Behavior on a Taut String

1. What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicularly to the direction of wave propagation. This is in contrast to a longitudinal wave, where the particles vibrate parallel to the direction of propagation.

2. How do you calculate the wavelength of a transverse wave?

The wavelength of a transverse wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its frequency. This can be represented by the equation: λ = v/f, where λ is the wavelength, v is the speed of the wave, and f is the frequency.

3. What is the relationship between amplitude and energy in a transverse wave?

The amplitude of a transverse wave is directly proportional to the energy of the wave. This means that the higher the amplitude, the more energy the wave carries. This relationship is represented by the equation: E = 1/2mv^2, where E is the energy, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle.

4. How does a transverse wave differ from a longitudinal wave?

A transverse wave differs from a longitudinal wave in the direction in which the particles of the medium vibrate. In a transverse wave, the particles vibrate perpendicular to the direction of propagation, while in a longitudinal wave, the particles vibrate parallel to the direction of propagation.

5. Can transverse waves travel through all types of mediums?

No, transverse waves can only travel through mediums that have the ability to support shear stress. This includes solids and some liquids, but not gases as they do not have the necessary properties to support shear stress.