Analyzing the Forces on Suspended Seats in a Rotating Amusement Park Ride

In summary, an amusement park ride consisting of a rotating circular platform 8.07m in diameter from which 10kg seats are suspended at the end of 2.87m massless chains has an acceleration of gravity of 9.8m/s^2. When the system rotate, centrifugal force pulls the seats towards the center.
wmrunner24

Homework Statement

AmusementParkRide.jpg

An amusement park ride consists of a rotating circular platform 8.07m in diameter from which 10kg seats are suspended at the end of 2.87m massless chains. When the system rotate, it makes an angle of 37.3[tex]\circ[/tex] with the vertical. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2.

What is the speed of each seat?

Homework Equations

Fc=[tex]\frac{Vt^2m}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I already have a good idea of how to start, with the tension in the rope in the x direction, but what I was wondering is...can gravity have a horizontal component? Gravity pulls straight down, but to pull down on the seat as far as possible, it has to move in closer to the center (i.e. there has to be an x force). I'm pretty sure that's tension, but in this case, aren't tension and gravity an action-reaction pair? Which would imply that gravity is active to some extent in the x direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
The outward force is provided by centrifugal force.

Were you given the equation or did you derive it, it seems a pointless question if you just have to stick numbers in

I thought centrifugal force wasn't real, just the inertial tendency to stay on the same path?

wmrunner24 said:
I already have a good idea of how to start, with the tension in the rope in the x direction, but what I was wondering is...can gravity have a horizontal component? Gravity pulls straight down, but to pull down on the seat as far as possible, it has to move in closer to the center (i.e. there has to be an x force). I'm pretty sure that's tension, but in this case, aren't tension and gravity an action-reaction pair? Which would imply that gravity is active to some extent in the x direction?
Gravity acts down, thus it has no horizontal component. Tension and gravity are not 'action-reaction' pairs. If the rope pulls on the seat, the seat pulls on the rope. That's the correct 3rd law pair. (Gravity is the Earth pulling down on the seat, thus the 'action-reaction' pair would be the seat exerting a gravitational force on the earth.)

wmrunner24 said:
I thought centrifugal force wasn't real, just the inertial tendency to stay on the same path?
Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that is introduced when analyzing things from a rotating frame. No need for that here--just stick to the usual inertial frame and apply Newton's 2nd law. (Derive any needed equation from first principles--Newton's laws.)

So...then the only force in the x direction is the tension, right? So I would use Fc=Tx.

[tex]\frac{Vt^2m}{r}[/tex]=Tsin([tex]\Theta[/tex])

And to find tension, I would have to use the y direction equation.

[tex]\sum[/tex]F=Tcos[tex]\Theta[/tex]-mg
[tex]mg/cos(\Theta[/tex])=T

Then put that back into the first equation and solve for Vt, right?

[tex]\frac{Vt^2m}{r}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{mgsin\Theta}{cos\Theta}[/tex]

Vt=[tex]\sqrt{grtan\Theta}[/tex] , keeping in mind that the radius is the horizontal distance from the center of the ride.

And I get 6.56565m/s.
Right?

wmrunner24 said:

Homework Equations

Fc=[tex]\frac{Vt^2m}{r}[/tex]
I don't quite understand this equation. The right hand side doesn't seem to have the dimensions of a force.

Edit: LOL... I just got what you mean. Fc = mVt2/r, not mVt2/r.

wmrunner24 said:
So...then the only force in the x direction is the tension, right? So I would use Fc=Tx.[tex]\frac{Vt^2m}{r}[/tex]=Tsin([tex]\Theta[/tex])

And to find tension, I would have to use the y direction equation.

[tex]\sum[/tex]F=Tcos[tex]\Theta[/tex]-mg
[tex]mg/cos(\Theta[/tex])=T

Then put that back into the first equation and solve for Vt, right?

[tex]\frac{Vt^2m}{r}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{mgsin\Theta}{cos\Theta}[/tex]Vt=[tex]\sqrt{grtan\Theta}[/tex] , keeping in mind that the radius is the horizontal distance from the center of the ride.

And I get 6.56565m/s.
Right?
All good! :approve:

Yeah, sorry. I was a little lazy with the subscript at that part. And thanks a bunch.

Related to Analyzing the Forces on Suspended Seats in a Rotating Amusement Park Ride

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is a fundamental force of nature that governs the motion of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the principle of mass attraction. The more mass an object has, the more gravity it exerts. The force of gravity is inversely proportional to the distance between two objects, meaning the farther apart they are, the weaker the gravitational force becomes.

3. What are the components of gravity?

The main components of gravity are mass, distance, and acceleration. Mass refers to the amount of matter an object contains, distance is the space between two objects, and acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes due to gravity.

4. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by pulling them towards the center of the Earth. This force causes objects to accelerate towards the ground at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared. It also keeps planets in orbit around the sun and moons in orbit around planets.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

As of now, gravity cannot be manipulated or controlled. It is a natural force that cannot be turned off or on. However, scientists are researching and experimenting with ways to potentially manipulate gravity in the future through advanced technologies and theories such as anti-gravity and gravitational waves.