Analyzing performance of a stock picker

• Thread starter musicgold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    performance
In summary, the conversation discusses the performance of an expert stock picker who claims to have picked 10 out of 15 winning stocks in their career. The person making the argument suggests that this is not an impressive achievement, as according to the binomial theorem, the chance of picking at least 10 winners out of 15 randomly chosen stocks is 15.09%. However, there is some disagreement about the validity of this calculation and the small sample size of 20 picks.
musicgold
Hi,

I was trying to analyze the performance of a so called expert stock picker. Can you please check my argument? Are there any holes in my argument?

According to the stock picker, out of 15 stocks he picked over his career 10 turned out to be big winners.

I made the following argument. Assume that the performance of a stock is as random as a fair coin flip; half the time the stock can become a winner and the rest of the time a loser. If we select 15 such stocks, the chance of getting at least 10 winner stocks in that group is 15.09% (using the binomial theorem). In fact, the 10 winners case falls in the 95% confidence interval of the binomial distribution of this experiment. As such, having 10 winners out of 15 picks is not so impressive an achievement.

Thanks,

MG.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Could you show how you did the calculation?
I get [itex]_{15}C_{10}(1/2)^{15}= 3003/2^{15}[/itex] equals about 9%.

HallsofIvy said:
Could you show how you did the calculation?
I get [itex]_{15}C_{10}(1/2)^{15}= 3003/2^{15}[/itex] equals about 9%.

9.2% chance of picking exactly 10; 15.1% chance of picking 10 or more.

Musicgold's analysis is on the correct track for this type of problem. Stock prices are, in general, nothing more than a random walk, and whether a "picker" bases picks on graphical analysis or other items, their choices turn out to be no better than random selection.
A group of 20 choices is a rather small sample, but still the result he sees is not surprising.

HallsofIvy, CRGreathouse, and statdad,

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Related to Analyzing performance of a stock picker

1. How do you measure the performance of a stock picker?

The performance of a stock picker is typically measured by comparing their stock picks to a benchmark index, such as the S&P 500. This allows for a standardized measure of their performance over a specific time period.

2. What factors should be considered when analyzing the performance of a stock picker?

When analyzing the performance of a stock picker, factors such as the risk level of their picks, the consistency of their returns, and the overall market conditions should be taken into consideration. It is also important to look at the stock picker's track record over a longer time period rather than just focusing on short-term gains.

3. How do you determine if a stock picker is successful?

A successful stock picker is one who consistently outperforms the benchmark index over a long period of time. This can be measured by looking at their average returns, risk-adjusted returns, and overall portfolio performance.

4. Is it better to choose a stock picker with a high success rate or a high return rate?

It is important to consider both the success rate and return rate of a stock picker. A high success rate shows that the stock picker is making more winning picks than losing ones, while a high return rate indicates that their picks are generating strong returns. Ultimately, a balance of both is ideal.

5. How can one identify a skilled stock picker?

A skilled stock picker will have a proven track record of consistently outperforming the benchmark index over a long period of time. They will also have a clear and well-defined investment strategy, as well as the ability to adapt to changing market conditions. Additionally, reviews and recommendations from reputable sources can also help identify a skilled stock picker.