Analyzing Franck Hertz Graph on Excel/Matlab

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter jenny777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Hertz
In summary, you could measure the change in the current and use an exponential or linear line to determine when the increase in the gradient becomes statistically significant.
jenny777
Hello,

How can I determine when the current is starting rise? What methods should I use to do so? on excel or matlab.

I've attached an image of my graph below

Thanks a million

Attachments

• curve.jpg
    curve.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
Er, can you use a ruler?

that's what I did on my last lab, for Planck's constant, but apparently I need some systematic way of determining it according to my TA

I'm writing a formal lab report for Franck Hertz oscillation

Can you plot the gradient using Excel. Then if possible say when the increase in the gradient becomes statistically significant?

how do I find the gradient? (sorry I'm not really good at this)

Or may get Excel to determine the best fit line. It will tell you the equation of the line and where is crosses the x axis.

If you don't know how look up trend lines in Excel help.

I tried fitting an exponential and linear line, but it didn't work. it was way too off. But why would the would I be looking for a y-intercept of the line? (where it crosses the origin)

oops, i meant to say why would I be, not why would the would I ...haha

jenny777 said:
how do I find the gradient? (sorry I'm not really good at this)

Rather than plot the current, you could plot the change in the current. That would be the change in each current measurement divided by the each little change in your input variable. That would be the gradient.

Likes 1 person
jenny777 said:
I tried fitting an exponential and linear line, but it didn't work. it was way too off. But why would the would I be looking for a y-intercept of the line? (where it crosses the origin)

Sorry, I meant the x axis. And you can't use all the points - you need to exclude the flat part, else you will get rubbish.

I think the gradient plot sounds good! thanks so much!

Related to Analyzing Franck Hertz Graph on Excel/Matlab

1. How do I plot a Franck Hertz graph on Excel/Matlab?

To plot a Franck Hertz graph on Excel, you will need to first enter your data into a spreadsheet. Then, select your data and click on the "Insert" tab. From there, choose the type of chart you want to create, such as a scatter plot or line graph. You can also add labels and customize your graph as needed. In Matlab, you can use the "plot" function to create a graph using your data points.

2. How do I analyze a Franck Hertz graph on Excel/Matlab?

To analyze a Franck Hertz graph on Excel, you can use the built-in tools such as trendline or regression analysis to determine the slope and intercept of your data. In Matlab, you can use the "polyfit" function to find the best fit line for your data and calculate the slope and intercept. You can also use other statistical functions to analyze your data, such as mean, standard deviation, and correlation coefficient.

3. What is the purpose of creating a Franck Hertz graph?

The Franck Hertz experiment is used to study the energy levels of atoms and molecules. By creating a Franck Hertz graph, we can observe how the energy of the electrons changes as they pass through a gas. This allows us to better understand the quantum nature of matter and the behavior of electrons in different energy states.

4. How do I interpret the results of a Franck Hertz graph?

The results of a Franck Hertz graph can be interpreted by looking at the shape of the graph and the position of the peaks and valleys. The peaks represent the maximum energy that the electrons have after colliding with the gas atoms, while the valleys represent the energy lost during the collisions. The distance between the peaks can also provide information about the energy levels of the gas atoms.

5. Can I use other software to analyze a Franck Hertz graph?

Yes, there are various software programs available for analyzing Franck Hertz graphs, such as Origin, GraphPad Prism, and SPSS. These programs offer advanced statistical tools and data visualization options that may not be available in Excel or Matlab. It is recommended to choose the software that best fits your needs and comfort level with data analysis.