Analyzing Current in RC Circuits: A Scientific Approach

In summary, the circuit has initially open switch and uncharged capacitors, with all resistors having the same value R. After the switch is closed, the current flows through R1 and R2, with the potential difference across R2 being V/2R. After a long time, the capacitors will charge up, causing a potential difference across R2 and the current through it to decrease. The behavior of the current in R3 will depend on the charging of the capacitors.
timnswede

Homework Statement

In the circuit below the switch is initially open and both capacitors initially uncharged. All resistors have the same value R.
a.) Find the current through R2 just after the switch is closed.
b.) Find the current through R2 a long time after the switch has been closed.
c.) Describe qualitatively how you expect the current in R3 to behave after switch is closed.
Ubm7yP6.png

Homework Equations

V=IR
Kirchhoff's Rules

The Attempt at a Solution

I have only attempted part a so far because I don't think I even did that part right. Well right after the switch is closed the capacitors are an open circuit right? So the current only goes through R1 and R2, so I if current goes up from the positive terminal of the battery and my loop is clockwise I got V-2R=0, so R=V/2.

Physics news on Phys.org
timnswede said:
I have only attempted part a so far because I don't think I even did that part right. Well right after the switch is closed the capacitors are an open circuit right?
Oops. Quite the reverse. The capacitors look like short circuits. The charge on a capacitor cannot change instantaneously so immediately after the switch is closed they will still have 0 V as a potential difference.

OK, since there is no potential difference on either of the capacitors that would mean that there is no potential difference across R2 either then since it is in parallel with C1? And I just realized I did Kirchhoff's rules wrong, but then for part b) it would be V-2RI=0, so I=V/2R, since there is no current through the capacitors a long time after the switch has been closed.

Yes, that looks good.

gneill said:
Yes, that looks good.
Actually after thinking about it a bit more, I think I confused myself more. Since there is no potential difference on the capacitor then electrons won't go there, but the battery still has a potential difference, so wouldn't the electrons still flow through R2, R1, the switch and then to the positive plate of the battery?
Also for part c, electrons won't go to R3 right when the switch is closed, or after a very long time, but they will go to R3 when the capacitors are charging right?

timnswede said:
Actually after thinking about it a bit more, I think I confused myself more. Since there is no potential difference on the capacitor then electrons won't go there, but the battery still has a potential difference, so wouldn't the electrons still flow through R2, R1, the switch and then to the positive plate of the battery?
You should get used to working with conventional current (positive charge carriers) rather than electron flow. All the literature you will use will assume conventional current and you don't need the added "translation" headache when things get complicated.

Current will definitely flow to the capacitors. Immediately after the switch closes they behave just like wires (no resistance). They will begin to charge up and a potential difference will develop over time. C1 being in parallel with R2 will initially grab all the current.
Also for part c, electrons won't go to R3 right when the switch is closed, or after a very long time, but they will go to R3 when the capacitors are charging right?
Right.

Likes timnswede
gneill said:
You should get used to working with conventional current (positive charge carriers) rather than electron flow. All the literature you will use will assume conventional current and you don't need the added "translation" headache when things get complicated.

Current will definitely flow to the capacitors. Immediately after the switch closes they behave just like wires (no resistance). They will begin to charge up and a potential difference will develop over time. C1 being in parallel with R2 will initially grab all the current.

Right.
Ohh OK, thank you for the explanation. It makes sense to me now.

Related to Analyzing Current in RC Circuits: A Scientific Approach

1. What is an RC circuit and how does it work?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. When an electrical current is passed through the circuit, the capacitor charges up and stores electrical energy, while the resistor restricts the flow of current. This creates a time-varying voltage across the capacitor, causing the circuit to behave in a particular way.

2. How do you calculate the current in an RC circuit?

The current in an RC circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). In an RC circuit, the voltage across the resistor is equal to the voltage across the capacitor, so the current can also be calculated by dividing the voltage by the total resistance of the circuit (R + 1/C).

3. What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) of an RC circuit is a measure of the rate at which the capacitor charges or discharges. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and the capacitance (C) of the circuit. A larger time constant indicates a slower charging/discharging rate, while a smaller time constant indicates a faster rate.

4. How does the value of the resistor and capacitor affect the current in an RC circuit?

The value of the resistor and capacitor in an RC circuit affects the current in several ways. First, a larger resistor will restrict the flow of current, resulting in a lower current. Second, a larger capacitor will take longer to charge, resulting in a lower current. Finally, changing the values of both the resistor and capacitor can alter the time constant of the circuit, which will also affect the current.

5. What are some real-life applications of RC circuits?

RC circuits have a wide range of applications in electronics, including filters, timers, and oscillators. For example, RC filters are commonly used in audio equipment to remove unwanted frequencies from a signal. RC timers are used in devices such as cameras and washing machines to control the duration of certain processes. RC oscillators are used in clocks and electronic communication systems to generate a precise frequency or signal.