Analyzing an Oscillator Circuit: Voltage and Current Dynamics

In summary, the circuit being discussed involves calculating the voltage across the capacitor as a function of time. The voltage at the top right corner oscillates at a frequency determined by the capacitor value and the inductance of the transformer. When the resistor is large enough, it prevents enough current from flowing through the transistor, turning it off and allowing current to flow back to the base. This circuit cannot be analyzed using conventional methods because it relies on the finite speed of the current. The transformer coils are oppositely wound and the circuit operates based on the non-linear characteristics of the transistor. The use of Kirchoff's laws to find the voltage across the capacitor is questioned, and it is suggested to mark the dots on the transformer windings and
tburke2
I have the following circuit that I need to calculate the voltage across the capacitor as a function of time. Standard variables for the component values, voltage drops, currents, ect.

Untitled.png

You'll notice that the voltage (at the top right corner) oscillates at a frequency dependent on the capacitor value and the inductance of the transformer (what i found when physically testing the circuit). When the resistor is large enough it doesn't allow enough current through to activate the transistor when current is flowing through the transistor, turning it off and allowing current to flow back to the base. This is why I cannot use conventional circuit analysis, we assume that changes in the circuit are instantaneous while this circuit depends on the finite speed of the current.

Thanks for any assistance.
T. Burke

Physics news on Phys.org
tburke2 said:
This is why I cannot use conventional circuit analysis, we assume that changes in the circuit are instantaneous while this circuit depends on the finite speed of the current.
I think what you say here could not possibly be correct.

The first thing you should do is mark the dots on the transformer windings.

Next, find a reference that tells you how this circuit operates. Does operation hinge on non-linear characteristics of the transformer, or can you assume a linear model?

Sorry, the transformer coils are oppositely wound so a dot should be on top of the left coil and on the bottom of the right coil. The circuit is dependent on the non-linear characteristics of the transistor. Can Kirchoffs laws be used to find the voltage across the cap?

You built the circuit using real components? Can you post a graph showing how the base voltage varies with time, and show this in relation to the capacitor voltage?

Related to Analyzing an Oscillator Circuit: Voltage and Current Dynamics

What is an oscillator circuit?

An oscillator circuit is an electronic circuit that produces a periodic, repetitive waveform without any external input. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, clocks, and computers.

What are the types of oscillator circuits?

There are several types of oscillator circuits, including the LC oscillator, RC oscillator, crystal oscillator, and voltage-controlled oscillator. Each type has its own unique characteristics and applications.

What is the purpose of an oscillator circuit?

The main purpose of an oscillator circuit is to generate a stable and precise frequency signal for use in electronic devices. It is also used to amplify and convert signals from one frequency to another.

How do you analyze an oscillator circuit?

To analyze an oscillator circuit, you will need to use techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws, nodal analysis, and loop analysis. These methods help to determine the circuit's output voltage, frequency, and stability.

What are the factors that affect the frequency stability of an oscillator circuit?

The frequency stability of an oscillator circuit is affected by factors such as temperature, supply voltage, component tolerances, and noise. It is important to consider these factors when designing an oscillator circuit for a specific application.