Analyzing an Integral Solution for Exponential Integral with Imaginary Numbers

• I
  • Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to evaluate an integral involving the exponential integral function ##E_1^m(z)## in a compact form, rather than numerically. The values of ##\alpha## and ##m## are discussed and the function is defined as ##\left(\int_z^{\infty}\frac{e^{-t}}{t}\,dt\right)^m##.
EngWiPy
Hello,

Is this integral solvable in compact form?

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}e^{-j\nu\alpha}E_1^m(-j\nu)\,d\nu[/tex]

where ##E_1(.)## is the exponential integral and ##j=\sqrt{-1}##. I am trying to avoid solving it numerically because its solution won't be the end result.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
EngWiPy said:
Is this integral solvable in compact form?

I am unfamiliar with notation. What does the ##m## mean in ##E^m_1##? The same as ##E_1 \left( -i\nu \right)^m##, or something else? Once I understand the notation, I will ask Maple to have a go at it.

George Jones said:
I am unfamiliar with notation. What does the ##m## mean in ##E^m_1##? The same as ##E_1 \left( -i\nu \right)^m##, or something else? Once I understand the notation, I will ask Maple to have a go at it.

Yes, m is an integer and ##E_1^m(x)=\left(E_1(x)\right)^m##

Arbitrarily, I set ##\alpha = 1## and ##m=3##, and Maple not did give a closed form solution for this special case.

Likes EngWiPy
Duplicate thread merged with original thread
Hello,

I have this function in an integration ##E_1^m(z)##, which is the exponential integral to the power ##m##. I am looking to write it in a way, such that I can evaluate in compact form the following integration

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}e^{-jxt}E_1^m(-jt)\,dt[/tex]

to avoid calculating it numerically, where ##j=\sqrt{-1}##. Is there any way to do that?

Thanks in advance

It isn't clear to me what ## E_1^m(z) ## is. Can you please write out this function in more detail.

Charles Link said:
It isn't clear to me what ## E_1^m(z) ## is. Can you please write out this function in more detail.

It is

[tex]\left(\int_z^{\infty}\frac{e^{-t}}{t}\,dt\right)^m[/tex]

Related to Analyzing an Integral Solution for Exponential Integral with Imaginary Numbers

What is an integration solution?

An integration solution is a software or technology that allows different systems or applications to communicate and share data with each other. It helps to streamline processes and improve efficiency by eliminating manual data entry and reducing errors.

Why is an integration solution important?

An integration solution is important because it enables organizations to connect and integrate various systems and applications, which may have different data formats and protocols. This allows for better data management, improved collaboration, and better decision-making.

What are the benefits of using an integration solution?

Some of the benefits of using an integration solution include improved data accuracy, increased efficiency and productivity, reduced costs, and better business insights. It also allows for easier scalability and adaptability to changing business needs.

What are the different types of integration solutions?

There are various types of integration solutions, such as point-to-point integration, middleware integration, and cloud-based integration. Each type has its own advantages and may be suitable for different use cases. It is important to assess the specific needs of an organization before choosing an integration solution.

How can an integration solution be implemented?

An integration solution can be implemented in different ways, depending on the specific requirements and systems involved. It can be done through manual coding, using pre-built connectors or APIs, or through a drag-and-drop interface. It is important to have a well-defined integration strategy and plan in place before starting the implementation process.