Analyzing a Spring-Mass-Damper System: Is the System Oscillating?

• Thread starter reuben19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary: Sorry for the late response, by the way!In summary, the given spring-mass-damper system has a mass of 150 kg, a stiffness of 1500 N/m, and a damping coefficient of 200 kg/s. To solve for the unknowns, the equations for the undamped natural frequency, damping ratio, and damped natural frequency can be used. The system can be categorized as overdamped, underdamped, or critically damped based on the calculated damping ratio. The system may also oscillate depending on the values of the unknowns. To find the solutions, appropriate methods must be used, such as incorporating the damping factor in the calculations.
reuben19

Homework Statement

A spring-mass-damper system has a mass of 150 kg, a stiffness of 1500 N/m, and a damping coefficient of 200 kg/s.

Homework Equations

(a) Calculate the undamped natural frequency, the damping ratio, and the damped natural frequency.
(b) Is the system overdamped, underdamped or critically damped?
(c) Does the system oscillate?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to source out the appropriate equations and relationships to find the unknowns, but I end up dealing with thing that aren't related to the actual concept of a vibrating mass system. Your help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
reuben19 said:

Homework Statement

A spring-mass-damper system has a mass of 150 kg, a stiffness of 1500 N/m, and a damping coefficient of 200 kg/s.

Homework Equations

(a) Calculate the undamped natural frequency, the damping ratio, and the damped natural frequency.
(b) Is the system overdamped, underdamped or critically damped?
(c) Does the system oscillate?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to source out the appropriate equations and relationships to find the unknowns, but I end up dealing with thing that aren't related to the actual concept of a vibrating mass system. Your help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Hello reuben19. Welcome to PF !

According to the rules of this Forum, you must show an attempt at a solution, before we can help you.

Can you do part (a) ?

Hi SammyS!

I just had another look around for the appropraite methods in relation to my question, and have figured out how to calculate the damping ratio:

Ratio = damping coefficient/(2√km)

= 200/(2√(1500×150))

= 0.21

In regards to the other sections, I'm afraid I'm still at a loss in terms of finding out the right methods :/

reuben19 said:
Hi SammyS!

I just had another look around for the appropraite methods in relation to my question, and have figured out how to calculate the damping ratio:

Ratio = damping coefficient/(2√km)

= 200/(2√(1500×150))

= 0.21

In regards to the other sections, I'm afraid I'm still at a loss in terms of finding out the right methods :/
Can you calculate the frequency if there's no damping factor ?

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can. It's just a matter of finding out how to incorporate it into the calculations.

Related to Analyzing a Spring-Mass-Damper System: Is the System Oscillating?

1. What is oscillation?

Oscillation is the repetitive back-and-forth motion of a system between two points or values.

2. What causes oscillation in a system?

Oscillation is caused by a restoring force that acts on a system to bring it back to its equilibrium position after it has been displaced.

3. How do we know if a system will oscillate?

A system will oscillate if it has a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and if there is enough energy to sustain the motion.

4. What factors affect the frequency of oscillation?

The frequency of oscillation is affected by the mass of the system, the strength of the restoring force, and any external factors such as friction or damping.

5. Can oscillation be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, oscillation can be controlled or manipulated by adjusting the parameters of the system, such as the strength of the restoring force, to change the frequency or amplitude of the oscillations.