Analytical solution of photon diffusion in finite media

In summary, the conversation is about deriving an analytical expression for the photon backscatter flux in finite turbid media using the diffusion equation and the method of images. The probability of a photon entering at a given point and reaching a specific point within the medium before exiting is the product of two independent probabilities. The expressions for the incident and backscattered photons both involve the approximation of zi=~0 and can use (t) for time in the integration.
vitom001

Homework Statement

I'm trying to derive an analytical expression for the photon backscatter flux in finite turbid media using the diffusion equation and the method of images. What I want to write is: for a given volume (x,y,z), where a coherent light source is incident on the x-y plane and z is the depth, what is the probability of a photon that enters at (xi,yi,zi=~0) reaching a particular point within the medium (x,y,z) within time (t1), before exiting the medium at a point (xo,yo,zo=0) at time (t2). This total probability I can write as the product of two probabilities since they are independent. For the incident photons I use the method of images as shown in the expression for P1, where h is the thickness of the medium (h=z_max). I have stated zi=~0 since it is actually on the order of the transport mean free path (l*) which is relatively small to the sample thickness (in this case). My question is whether it is necessary to apply this also to the expression for the backscattered photons (P2) since I am evaluating it at zo=0? Also, do I have to write the expressions with (t1) and (t2) or can I use (t) for both? Since I want to integrate the resulting expression (after differentiation at z and setting zo=0) over all time (0 to Inf), being able to substitute (t) for time would simplify the calculations.

Homework Equations

upload_2016-7-28_22-46-17.png

The Attempt at a Solution

P = P1*P2

upload_2016-7-28_22-39-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-28_22-16-38.png
    upload_2016-7-28_22-16-38.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 435
  • upload_2016-7-28_22-16-44.png
    upload_2016-7-28_22-16-44.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 428
  • upload_2016-7-28_22-44-54.png
    upload_2016-7-28_22-44-54.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
P1 = exp(-mu*z - (mu/2l*)^2*(x-xi)^2 - (mu/2l*)^2*(y-yi)^2) + exp(-mu*(2h-z)- (mu/2l*)^2*(x-xi)^2 - (mu/2l*)^2*(y-yi)^2)P2 = exp(-(mu/2l*)^2*(x-xo)^2 - (mu/2l*)^2*(y-yo)^2)*[1/(4piDt)]^1/2*[exp(-(z-zo)^2/(4Dt)) - exp(-(2h-z-zo)^2/(4Dt))]Yes, it is necessary to apply the approximation zi=~0 also to the expression for backscattered photons (P2). As for time, I believe you can use (t) for both since you are integrating over all time (0 to Inf).

Related to Analytical solution of photon diffusion in finite media

1. What is photon diffusion in finite media?

Photon diffusion refers to the process of light propagation through a medium, where the light is scattered and absorbed by the particles within the medium. In a finite media, the light is confined to a specific region and cannot escape, leading to a diffusion process.

2. Why is analytical solution important for studying photon diffusion in finite media?

Analytical solution allows for a mathematical understanding of the diffusion process, providing insights into the behavior of photons within the medium. It also allows for the prediction of light propagation in different conditions, which is crucial for various applications such as biomedical imaging and light therapy.

3. What is the governing equation for photon diffusion in finite media?

The governing equation for photon diffusion in finite media is the diffusion equation, which describes the spatial and temporal evolution of light intensity within the medium. It takes into account parameters such as scattering and absorption coefficients, as well as the boundary conditions of the medium.

4. How is the analytical solution of photon diffusion in finite media derived?

The analytical solution is derived by solving the diffusion equation using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and Fourier transforms. The resulting solution provides an expression for the light intensity as a function of spatial and temporal variables, allowing for the prediction of photon diffusion in the medium.

5. What are some limitations of the analytical solution of photon diffusion in finite media?

The analytical solution is based on certain assumptions and simplifications, such as a homogeneous and non-scattering medium. In reality, most media are complex and heterogeneous, which may affect the accuracy of the solution. Additionally, the analytical solution may not be applicable for highly absorbing or highly scattering media, and may require further numerical methods for accurate predictions.