Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Analytic on D

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
If $f$ is analytic on the disc D and for each $a\in D$, the power series of $f$ expanded at
a has at least one coefficient equal to zero, then f is a polynomial on D.

I am at a loss here.

Jose27

Feb 1, 2012
Take \(D'\subset D\) any closed subdisk, and consider the sets \(A_n=\{ x\in D' : f^{(n)}(x)=0 \}\). Prove that one of these, say \(A_k\), has an accumulation point in \(D\), what can you say about \(f^{(k)}\)?

Last edited:

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Take \(D'\subset D\) any closed subdisk, and consider the sets \(A_n=\{ x\in D' : f^{(n)}(x)=0 \}\). Prove that one of these, say \(A_k\), has an accumulation point in \(D\), what can you say about \(f^{(k)}\)?
Since D' is bounded and closed, by the Heine-Borel Theorem, D' is compact. In D', $A_k$ would have an accumulation point. How can I extended that into D? How does that help with showing $f$ is a polynomial?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
So $\displaystyle\bigcup A_n = D'$ and at least one $A_n$ is infinite. Let $A_m$ be infinite.
We have a sequence $a_m\in A_m$ in $D'$. By the Heine-Borel Theorem, $D'$ is compact and has a convergent subsequence of $a_m$. Therefore, $f^{(m)} = 0$ and $f$ is a polynomial.

Is this good?

Jose27

Feb 1, 2012
So $\displaystyle\bigcup A_n = D'$ and at least one $A_n$ is infinite. Let $A_m$ be infinite.
We have a sequence $a_m\in A_m$ in $D'$. By the Heine-Borel Theorem, $D'$ is compact and has a convergent subsequence of $a_m$. Therefore, $f^{(m)} = 0$ and $f$ is a polynomial.

Is this good?
As long as you know why each of your claims is valid then yes, everything's fine.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
As long as you know why each of your claims is valid then yes, everything's fine.
I think I am unsure of is $f^{m} = 0$ and $f$ is a polynomial. Can you explain why that is the case?

Jose27

Feb 1, 2012
Look up the identity theorem. For the rest, surely you can argue that if $f^{(m)}\equiv 0$ then $f$ is a polynomial.