Analytic determination of Expectation, variance

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the distribution when a normal distributed variable is applied to a linear function. The calculation of mean and variance using the formula for expectations is mentioned, as well as the proof for n-dimensional parameters. The conversation also touches on the use of moment generating functions to prove the distribution of added distributions, such as normal + normal.
Eren10
Hi,

I want to proof what the distribution will be when I apply a normal distributed x to a linear function y = a*x + b. What will be the mean and the variance of y ?

The expectations can be calculated than with this formula ( probably with this formula what i want can be proofed with substitution):

E_x [y] = integral ( y(x)*rho_x(x)dx) , x is the randomly event , normal distributed, y = a*x+b.

After this I want to proof that for n - dimensional parameter the variance [tex]\sigma = \sum\sigma^2[/tex]

for example I want also proof that the sum of normal distributed parameters X and Y is also normal distributed.

can someone at least advice which book I need to see how this kind of things are proofed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
These are elementary probability calculations. E(y)=aE(x)+b, V(y)=a2V(x)

x+y=(a+1)*x + b, so the above can be used with a+1 replacing a.

Eren10 said:
Hi,

After this I want to proof that for n - dimensional parameter the variance [tex]\sigma = \sum\sigma^2[/tex]

Can you tell me what these means? A standard deviation is not defined this way. Did you mean [tex]\sigma^{2}[/tex] for the left side term? If so it needs a subscript to distinguish it from the right side.

mathman said:
These are elementary probability calculations. E(y)=aE(x)+b, V(y)=a2V(x)

x+y=(a+1)*x + b, so the above can be used with a+1 replacing a.

Thank you for your reply. I am reading now google book about elementary probability. For simple cases I have to show how they came to that relation and this will help me to understand the idea behind it better.

SW VandeCarr said:
Can you tell me what these means? A standard deviation is not defined this way. Did you mean [tex]\sigma^{2}[/tex] for the left side term? If so it needs a subscript to distinguish it from the right side.
Thank you for your reply. I made there a mistake. assume a function f(X,Y,X) , X,Y,Z are randomly variables normal distribution. What I will do is: apply the random variables to f separately and then find the variance of f , thus for each variable. and hereafter the variances will be summed. the total variance is:

[tex]\sigma^{2}_{total} = \Sigma\sigma^{2}_{i} [/tex] I want to show this by applying the basic principles and than I will apply it at an experiment.

Last edited:
Eren10 said:
Hi,

I want to proof what the distribution will be when I apply a normal distributed x to a linear function y = a*x + b. What will be the mean and the variance of y ?

The expectations can be calculated than with this formula ( probably with this formula what i want can be proofed with substitution):

E_x [y] = integral ( y(x)*rho_x(x)dx) , x is the randomly event , normal distributed, y = a*x+b.

for example I want also proof that the sum of normal distributed parameters X and Y is also normal distributed.

can someone at least advice which book I need to see how this kind of things are proofed.

I don't know if this is what you want but with moment generating functions you can prove that the sum of two normal distributions is another normal distribution. In fact you can use MGF's to show what a lot of different types of added distributions are (like say Poisson + Poisson or Gamma + Gamma etc).

Related to Analytic determination of Expectation, variance

What is the definition of expectation?

The expectation of a random variable is the sum of the possible values of the variable multiplied by the probability of each value occurring.

How is expectation calculated?

To calculate expectation, you multiply each possible value by its corresponding probability and then add all of these products together.

What is the significance of variance?

Variance measures the spread or variability of a set of data. It tells us how much the values in a data set differ from the mean.

How is variance related to expectation?

The variance of a random variable is equal to the expectation of the squared deviations from the mean. In other words, variance is a measure of how far the possible values of a random variable are from its expected value.

What are some real-life applications of analytic determination of expectation and variance?

Expectation and variance are used in various fields such as finance, economics, and statistics to make predictions, assess risk, and analyze data. For example, in finance, expectation and variance help investors make decisions about their investments by predicting potential returns and assessing risk. In statistics, expectation and variance are used to analyze data and make conclusions about a population based on a sample.