Analytic derivation of quantum SHO

In summary, Griffiths uses a method similar to the Euler-Lagrange method of variation of parameters in his derivation of the quantum SHO. He first solves a simplified equation and then assumes that the solution to the original equation should be the same, except some of the constants are now functions. This allows for simpler equations to be obtained. Other sources, such as Mathews & Walker, briefly mention this technique but may not provide a satisfying explanation. Liboff does not discuss this method in his book.
Aziza
In Griffith's derivation of the quantum SHO, he uses some funny math:

first he considers asymptotic behavior to get ψ=Ae-(ε^2/2)
then he 'peels off the exponential part' to say that ψ=h(ε)e-(ε^2/2)
then he hopes that h(ε) will have simpler form than ψ(ε)

I can kind of understand the first part, but I have no clue what he means by the second part, i don't understand the motivation for this step...given this ODE, i would not know to proceed this way.
and idk what reason we have to 'hope' that h(ε) will be simple, just from the above data.

I am not familiar at all with this method of solving differential equation and i cannot find any resource on it...does anyone know of a better explanation? everything i have found merely copies word for word griffith's derivation.

I also have liboff's and mahan's book and they are even worse at this explanation

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This argument is very similar in nature to the Euler-Lagrange method of variation of parameters. Instead of solving the original equation, we first solve some simplified equation. Then we assume that the solution to the original equation should be the same, except some of what used to be constants (parameters) in the approximate solution are now functions. So we plug our guesswork into the original equation and obtain equations for the new functions, which we hope will be simpler than the original equation.

Mathews & Walker mentions this technique briefly, but I doubt you'll find their treatment any more satisfying.

Liboff doesn't even talk about solving the differential equation this way, so I'm not sure what you are referring to. He does look at the asymptotic behavior in his discussion of what the solutions should look like qualitatively, but to find the actual solutions, he uses an algebraic approach with the creation and annihilation operators.

Related to Analytic derivation of quantum SHO

1. What is the quantum SHO?

The quantum SHO stands for quantum Simple Harmonic Oscillator, which is a model used to describe the behavior of a system that has a restoring force proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is widely used in many areas of physics.

2. How is the analytic derivation of quantum SHO performed?

The analytic derivation of quantum SHO is performed by using the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes how the wave function of a physical system changes over time. By solving this equation for the quantum SHO system, we can obtain an analytic expression for the wave function and the energy levels of the system.

3. Why is the analytic derivation of quantum SHO important?

The analytic derivation of quantum SHO is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a system that follows the principles of quantum mechanics. It also provides us with a mathematical model that can be used to make predictions and calculations in various fields of physics, such as quantum optics, solid-state physics, and quantum computing.

4. What are the key assumptions made in the analytic derivation of quantum SHO?

The key assumptions made in the analytic derivation of quantum SHO include the system being in a state of stable equilibrium, the potential energy function being quadratic, and the system being isolated from external influences. These assumptions allow us to simplify the Schrödinger equation and obtain an analytic solution.

5. Can the analytic derivation of quantum SHO be applied to other systems?

Yes, the analytic derivation of quantum SHO can be applied to other systems as long as they follow the same principles and assumptions. This includes systems with different potential energy functions, such as the anharmonic oscillator, as well as systems with multiple degrees of freedom, such as the quantum double pendulum.