Circular Motion of two objects

In summary, the person has a question about two objects made of wood, one of which spins perfectly when a torque is applied while the other wobbles. They are curious about the reason behind the wobbling and provide details about the objects and the torque being applied. The explanation is that the wobbling is due to an unbalanced centripetal acceleration, and the person also gives equations for calculating this acceleration using velocity and angular velocity.
Exidez
i have a question which i have been told about but i still don't udnerstand...
ok..
you have two objects(say they are made out of wood):

1: *-------------* ... 2: *---------
.....|.......|
.....|.......|
.....|.......|
.....|.......|
.....|.......|
.....|.......|

"*" represents 1kg wieghts
"..." represent nothin, i needed to put those there so the picture would position correctly. Just say it is open air :)

you supply a torque to object number 1, you will notice that is spins perfectly. While if you supply a torge to number 2 it will wobble and isn't perfect like number 1.

so what i want to know is.. why does number 2 wobble?

its hard to explain the question, but i hope you all understand

also the torque is supplied at the rod:
...|
...|
...|
...|
...|

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Number two wobbles because there is an unbalanced centripetal acceleration. Given a point mass at radius r, and instantaneous velocity v, centripetal acceleration c is given by:
c=(v^2)/r
or if you use angular velocity (w is omega):
c=(w^2)r
In case you usually use rpm, I think v=rpm*Πr/30 and w=rpm*Π/30.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point in a circular path.

2. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves a change in direction, while linear motion involves a change in position.

3. What is the relationship between centripetal force and circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, and it is always directed towards the center of the circle.

4. Can two objects have different circular motions around the same point?

Yes, two objects can have different circular motions around the same point if they have different velocities or radii.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its circular motion?

The mass of an object does not affect its circular motion, but it does affect the amount of centripetal force needed to keep it in circular motion.