Analysis by assumed diode states

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to figure out where to start on a circuit problem involving diodes. They ask for guidance and two suggestions are given, including calculating the voltage across each resistor and assuming the diodes with the biggest voltage difference between them are on.
Yaaaldi

Homework Statement

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where to start. I know I have to assume the diode states and then calculate if the assumptions work within the circuit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=46703&stc=1&d=1335457618.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

None as yet because I'm never sure where to start on these circuits when they are drawn in this way. Could someone give me a nudge in the right direction, or a general approach to these problems?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20120426_171627.jpg
    20120426_171627.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 709
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by calculating the voltage across each resistor.

In addition to skeptic2's hint, I'd be inclined to start by assuming that only the 2 diodes with the biggest voltage difference between them are on, calculate the middle node's voltage, and then go to the next highest voltage difference diode and see if it is on, and so on...

Related to Analysis by assumed diode states

What is "Analysis by assumed diode states"?

"Analysis by assumed diode states" is a method used in electronic circuit analysis to simplify the analysis process by making certain assumptions about the behavior of diodes in the circuit.

What are the assumptions made in "Analysis by assumed diode states"?

The main assumptions made in "Analysis by assumed diode states" are that diodes behave like ideal diodes with zero voltage drop when forward biased and infinite resistance when reverse biased.

What are the benefits of using "Analysis by assumed diode states"?

Using "Analysis by assumed diode states" can simplify circuit analysis and make it easier to solve complex circuits. It can also help identify potential issues or errors in the circuit design.

What are the limitations of "Analysis by assumed diode states"?

One limitation of "Analysis by assumed diode states" is that it only provides an approximate solution and may not accurately reflect the behavior of real diodes. It also does not take into account temperature effects or variations in diode characteristics.

When is "Analysis by assumed diode states" most commonly used?

"Analysis by assumed diode states" is commonly used in introductory circuit analysis courses or for quick analysis of simple circuits. It is also useful for initial circuit design and can be refined further using more accurate methods.