Analog to CAN Bus: Solutions for SAE Snowmobile Project

• Thread starter honkerhornet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analog Bus
In summary: You need to be knowledgeable in electronics and communications.In summary, there are options available for converting an analog throttle to a CAN message, such as using an embedded controller like Analog Devices AD\mu C831 with a multi-channel ADC and DAC. However, this requires knowledge in electronics and communications and is not a small project.
honkerhornet
Hello,
My senior design group is working on an SAE sponsered zero emissions snowmobile. The motor and controller we are using uses CAN protocol. Our biggest issue is figuring out a way to convert the analog throttle to a CAN message. Is there a circuit a person could construct or a product out there that's worth buying without being excessively expensive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
honkerhornet said:
Hello,
My senior design group is working on an SAE sponsered zero emissions snowmobile. The motor and controller we are using uses CAN protocol. Our biggest issue is figuring out a way to convert the analog throttle to a CAN message. Is there a circuit a person could construct or a product out there that's worth buying without being excessively expensive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Five years ago, I designed a CAN bus interface using embedded controller by Analog Devices [itex]AD\mu C831[/itex] using a very common Intel 8 bit 8051 base with EEPROM and RAMs together with a multi channel multiplexed 12 bit ADC and 12 bits DAC. I use that to read various analog voltage, driving control voltages. It also have SPI serial bus etc. I use a FPGA to change it to CAN bus format and interface to CAN bus. Basically you need an open collector driver for CAN bus.

Now, I want to make it clear, there is firmware involve in this, it is not a small project.

Last edited:

Related to Analog to CAN Bus: Solutions for SAE Snowmobile Project

1. What is Analog to CAN Bus?

Analog to CAN Bus is a type of technology that allows for the conversion of analog signals to digital signals, specifically within the context of the SAE Snowmobile Project. This technology helps to improve communication and efficiency within the snowmobile industry by allowing for easier integration of different electronic systems.

2. How does Analog to CAN Bus work?

Analog to CAN Bus works by converting analog signals, which are continuous and varying in value, into digital signals, which are discrete and represented by binary numbers. This conversion is achieved through the use of specialized hardware and software that can accurately measure and translate the analog signals into digital data that can be transmitted through the CAN Bus network.

3. What are the benefits of using Analog to CAN Bus in the SAE Snowmobile Project?

Some of the main benefits of using Analog to CAN Bus in the SAE Snowmobile Project include improved communication and data transfer between different electronic systems, reduced wiring and complexity, and enhanced overall system reliability and performance. This technology also allows for easier integration of newer electronic systems and components into existing snowmobile designs.

4. Are there any challenges associated with implementing Analog to CAN Bus in the snowmobile industry?

While Analog to CAN Bus offers many benefits, there are some challenges that may arise during its implementation in the snowmobile industry. These challenges can include the need for specialized equipment and expertise, potential compatibility issues with existing systems, and the cost of upgrading to this technology. However, these challenges can be overcome with proper planning and support.

5. How does Analog to CAN Bus compare to other communication protocols used in the snowmobile industry?

Analog to CAN Bus is a newer technology that has been gaining popularity in the snowmobile industry due to its many benefits. Compared to other communication protocols, such as analog and digital buses, Analog to CAN Bus offers improved speed, reliability, and flexibility. It also allows for easier integration with newer electronic systems and can reduce overall system complexity and wiring.