Anakin1369's Limit of (tanh(x))^x: Yahoo Answers

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the limit of (tanh(x))^x as x approaches infinity. The process to find the answer involves taking the natural log, using log properties and L'Hôpital's rule. The final answer is 1. The conversation ends with an invitation to post other calculus problems in a forum.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

What is the limit of (tanh(x))^x as x approaches infinity?

Hi. If you could provide me with the process that leads to the answer that would really help. Thanks.

Here is a link to the question:

What is the limit of (tanh(x))^x as x approaches infinity? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Anakin1369's question at Yahoo! Answers regardina limit having indeterminate form

Hello Anakin1369,

We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}\tanh^x(x)=L\)

Observing that we have the indeterminate form \(\displaystyle 1^{\infty}\), I recommend taking the natural log of both sides:

\(\displaystyle \ln\left(\lim_{x\to\infty}\tanh^x(x) \right)=\ln(L)\)

Since the natural log function is continuous, we may "bring it inside the limit" to get:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}\ln\left(\tanh^x(x) \right)=\ln(L)\)

Now, using the log property \(\displaystyle \log_a\left(b^c \right)=c\cdot\log_a(b)\) we may write:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}x\ln\left(\tanh(x) \right)=\ln(L)\)

Bringing the $x$ out front down into the denominator, we have:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{\ln\left(\tanh(x) \right)}{\frac{1}{x}}=\ln(L)\)

Now we have the indeterminate form \(\displaystyle \frac{0}{0}\), and so application of L'Hôpital's rules gives:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{\text{csch}(x)\text{sech}(x)}{-\frac{1}{x^2}}=\ln(L)\)

\(\displaystyle -\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{x^2}{\sinh(x)\cosh(x)}=\ln(L)\)

The exponential function in the denominator "dominates" the quadratic in the numerator, hence we have:

\(\displaystyle 0=\ln(L)\)

Converting from logarithmic to exponential form, we then find:

\(\displaystyle L=e^0=1\)

and so we may conclude:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}\tanh^x(x)=1\)

To Anakin1369 and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post other calculus problems in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Last edited:

Related to Anakin1369's Limit of (tanh(x))^x: Yahoo Answers

1. What is the limit of (tanh(x))^x as x approaches infinity?

The limit of (tanh(x))^x as x approaches infinity is equal to 1.

2. How do you calculate the limit of (tanh(x))^x?

To calculate the limit of (tanh(x))^x, you can use L'Hospital's rule or rewrite the expression as (e^(2x)-1)/(e^(2x)+1)^x and use the limit definition of the exponential function.

3. Is the limit of (tanh(x))^x equal to 1 or 0?

The limit of (tanh(x))^x is equal to 1 as x approaches infinity.

4. Can you graph the function (tanh(x))^x?

Yes, the graph of (tanh(x))^x is a continuous, increasing function with a horizontal asymptote at y=1 and a vertical asymptote at x=0.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the limit of (tanh(x))^x?

The limit of (tanh(x))^x has applications in various areas of mathematics, such as the study of differential equations and complex analysis. It also has practical applications in physics and engineering, such as in the calculation of heat transfer in thermodynamics.