An interferometer with two arms is constructed above

In summary: The refractive index is 1.5 which means it has increased by 1/2. So the number of waves that pass through the 1cm tube would now be 21000.5.
fobbz
I have attached the problem as the image is needed for the question.

a) Basically, from what I understand the wave is being split, thus each chamber receives the total number of wavelengths/2. The chambers, however are vacuums, so the number of wavelengths passing in doesn't change right?
Looking at my formulae for interferometers for destructive and constructive interference I cannot see one that would contribute to solving this part of the problem?

my formulae: L=m[itex]\lambda[/itex]/2 constructive interference, L=(m+.5)[itex]\lambda[/itex]/2 for destructive interference.

b) I need a to find this part I believe.

c) Need b.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 8.15.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 8.15.49 PM.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 524
Physics news on Phys.org
fobbz said:
the wave is being split, thus each chamber receives the total number of wavelengths/2.
It doesn't mean anything to say that each receives some number of wavelengths. Each receives half the total light.
The chambers, however are vacuums, so the number of wavelengths passing in doesn't change right?
Do you mean, the number of waves entering in a given interval of time doesn't change? That would be true. "Wavelengths" are lengths - they don't enter anything.
Looking at my formulae for interferometers for destructive and constructive interference I cannot see one that would contribute to solving this part of the problem?
5a is not a question about interference. It just asks how many wavelengths long would a 1cm evacuated tube be if the light has the given frequency. What formula do you know relating wavelength to frequency?

well v=fλ. So if the wavelength is λ=c/f=(3E8 m/s) /(6E14 m) , λ=5E-7 m

So in 1 cm, 1 cm / 5E-7 = 20 000 wavelengths?

Okay that makes sense...

b) So next if the maxima changes to a minima, that means that an extra half wavelength is now being sent out making it destructive? So there would be 20 000.5 wavelengths?

fobbz said:
an extra half wavelength is now being sent out making it destructive? So there would be 20 000.5 wavelengths?
Wavelengths are not "sent out". Waves are sent out, and the number sent out depends on the frequency and the time period. What you mean is that the 1cm tube now represents 20000.5 wavelengths. (Or could it be 19999.5? How do you know which it is?)

I know it is 20 000.5 because what changed was only the refractive index - the m order value did not change. So because it's now a minimum, (m+1/2) wavelengths would appear?

fobbz said:
I know it is 20 000.5 because what changed was only the refractive index - the m order value did not change. So because it's now a minimum, (m+1/2) wavelengths would appear?
You know it changed by half a wavelength. It is not instantly clear whether it increased or decreased by half a wavelength. But suppose it has increased. What is the refractive index?

Related to An interferometer with two arms is constructed above

1. What is an interferometer?

An interferometer is a scientific instrument used to measure and analyze the properties of light waves. It works by splitting a beam of light into two or more beams, recombining them, and observing the interference patterns that result.

2. How does an interferometer with two arms work?

An interferometer with two arms consists of two perpendicular arms that split a beam of light and then recombine it at a detector. The interference patterns observed at the detector can be used to measure the phase difference and amplitude of the light waves, providing valuable information about the light source.

3. What are the applications of an interferometer with two arms?

An interferometer with two arms has a wide range of applications in various fields such as astronomy, optics, and telecommunications. It can be used to measure the properties of light sources, detect gravitational waves, and even create 3D images of objects.

4. How accurate is an interferometer with two arms?

An interferometer with two arms is a highly accurate instrument and can measure the properties of light waves with incredible precision. Depending on the design and technology used, it can measure phase differences as small as a fraction of a nanometer.

5. Are there any limitations to an interferometer with two arms?

While an interferometer with two arms is a powerful and versatile instrument, it does have some limitations. It works best with coherent light sources, and any external vibrations or disturbances can affect the accuracy of the measurements. Additionally, the size and complexity of the instrument can also limit its use in certain applications.