An integral my Ti-89 refused to do

• Calculators
  • Thread starter kidwithshirt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral Ti-89
In summary, the conversation discussed the indefinite integral of sin(x)/(1+x^2)dx and the possibility of writing it in terms of elementary functions. The solution involves breaking the integral into two parts and making a change of variable in the first part to show that it is equal to the negative of the second part. The final conclusion is that the integral is equal to 0, as shown by graphing the function from -1 to 1. The conversation also touches on the topic of changing variables in an integral.
kidwithshirt

Homework Statement

Indefinite integral of sin(x)/(1+x^2)dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Computer science news on Phys.org
What reason do you have to believe that has an indefinite integral that can be written in terms of elementary functions?

HallsofIvy said:
What reason do you have to believe that has an indefinite integral that can be written in terms of elementary functions?

i m sorry i don't really comprehend what you are trying to say here.

By the way my mistake on my behalf, it is the integral between the interval of -1 and 1

I don't know how to get started

This question has a very simple answer. Try graphing the function from -1 to 1 and you might see it.

i realized that in the first place, but is there a mathematical manipulation that could get the result?

Break the integral up into integrals from -1 to 0 and from 0 to 1. In the first, make a change of variable, x -> -x.

Avodyne said:
Break the integral up into integrals from -1 to 0 and from 0 to 1. In the first, make a change of variable, x -> -x.

i don't understand what you are saying >.<

i started calc this year.

Could you show me your steps really quick

First tell me what the value of the integral is, and give your best explanation.

according to the graph it's 0 because the line is reflected on the origin so the two regions canceled each other out.

Yes, exactly. So the integral over the left half (from -1 to 0) must equal minus the integral over the right half (from 0 to 1).

Do you know how to change variables in an integral? You want to change the variable in the left-half integral from x to -x, and then show that the result is equal to minus the right-half integral.

Related to An integral my Ti-89 refused to do

1. What is an integral and how does it relate to the Ti-89 calculator?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. The Ti-89 calculator is a powerful tool that can perform various mathematical operations, including evaluating integrals.

2. Why would my Ti-89 refuse to solve an integral?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to the complexity of the integral, limitations of the calculator's software, or incorrect input of the integral function.

3. How can I check if my integral is input correctly on the Ti-89?

The Ti-89 has a built-in syntax checker that can help identify any errors in the input. Make sure to use parentheses and follow the correct order of operations when entering the integral.

4. Can I solve all types of integrals on my Ti-89?

The Ti-89 can solve a wide range of integrals, including definite and indefinite integrals, as well as single and multiple integrals. However, there may be some complex integrals that the calculator is unable to solve.

5. Is there a way to troubleshoot my Ti-89 if it is not solving an integral?

If your Ti-89 is not solving an integral, you can try resetting the calculator, clearing the memory, or updating the operating system. If the issue persists, it is best to consult the user manual or contact technical support for further assistance.