Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] An incredibly annoying feature of this site

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Hi everyone. I just wanted to point out that when you are trying to post a reply in a topic, it is extremely annoying to be told that your post isn't getting posted because other replies have already been posted and to review them. It is even more annoying that you have to wait 30 seconds before you are able to post again. When trying to post something earlier, this entire process happened to me FOUR times before I could actually post, because each time after 30 seconds had passed, more replies were given ><

Is it possible to get rid of the 30 second rule in this case?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I like the fact that we are notified that someone else has posted while we were composing our post so that gives us a chance to back off and let the person who posted first continue uninterrupted to offer help to the OP. This is less confusing for the OP.

In fact I was the one who asked for this feature as I don't like to post only to find I have repeated something said by someone else. (Nerd)

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I can try to get rid of the 30 second wait. Will let you know soon.

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
I like the fact that we are notified that someone else has posted while we were composing our post so that gives us a chance to back off and let the person who posted first continue uninterrupted to offer help to the OP. This is less confusing for the OP.

In fact I was the one who asked for this feature as I don't like to post only to find I have repeated something said by someone else. (Nerd)
I understand what you are saying Mark, but I have to respectfully disagree. If each person replying was going to say the same thing, I would agree, but the fact is that each person will contribute something a little different to the conversation, giving the OP a much deeper understanding of the underlying mathematical principles that are being discussed. And I really do not think it is that difficult for the OP to keep track - if they like what one person has written they can always just scroll down to find the posts from that specific person.

That being said, it wasn't so much the being notified of other responses that was annoying me, it was the wait afterwards, and the continuing loop of this notification then 30 second wait EVERY time a new post was done, before I even had the chance to post mine.

- - - Updated - - -

I can try to get rid of the 30 second wait. Will let you know soon.
Thank you Jameson, it will be much appreciated :)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I understand what you are saying Mark, but I have to respectfully disagree. If each person replying was going to say the same thing, I would agree, but the fact is that each person will contribute something a little different to the conversation, giving the OP a much deeper understanding of the underlying mathematical principles that are being discussed. And I really do not think it is that difficult for the OP to keep track - if they like what one person has written they can always just scroll down to find the posts from that specific person...
Yes, I can fully appreciate that there may be differing approaches to problems, but I think we should wait until the first person is done, and then if we have an alternate approach, or additional insights to add, we may post it at that time.

In fact, we have a forum rule (#14) which states:

Do not give premature explanations of hints. When you see that someone is already helping a member and is waiting for the original poster to give feedback, please don't give more hints or a full solution. Wait at least 24 hours so that the original poster has a chance to respond.

I personally find it more difficult to help someone if I have to contend with others posting suggestions at the same time I am trying to help. I generally wait to see what the first one to offer help does, and when they have concluded, and I still feel I have something helpful to add, then I will post.

There are of course exception to every rule, such as you may see that someone helping has posted a misleading, incorrect or ambiguous suggestion. In this case, I think it is appropriate to jump in to try to quickly steer the topic back on course.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Prove It - There isn't a simple way around this although I believe there are is one solution that I can employ if needed. Before doing that though I want to check if there is an easier work-around. I believe that if you hit "Preview" just before you post you will be notified of any new posts as well as if you click "Submit Reply". Can you try hitting "Preview" before posting and see if this stops the 30 second delay? I know you'll have to wait until this situation pops up again so it might take a few days before you can test it, so I'll patiently wait for you response. :)

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Prove It - There isn't a simple way around this although I believe there are is one solution that I can employ if needed. Before doing that though I want to check if there is an easier work-around. I believe that if you hit "Preview" just before you post you will be notified of any new posts as well as if you click "Submit Reply". Can you try hitting "Preview" before posting and see if this stops the 30 second delay? I know you'll have to wait until this situation pops up again so it might take a few days before you can test it, so I'll patiently wait for you response. :)
No, the 30 second delay doesn't come (at least for me) when we hit the "Preview" before submitting the reply. So the best thing to do is to preview the post at least once before hitting "Submit Reply". :)

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
No, the 30 second delay doesn't come (at least for me) when we hit the "Preview" before submitting the reply. So the best thing to do is to preview the post at least once before hitting "Submit Reply". :)
Administrators and Global Moderators are exempt from the flood check of 30 seconds so we can't really test this method. :( I hope it does work though and maybe Prove It can comment on it soon.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Ok, thanks to the help of MarkFL I was able to test this method out and it works. If you hit "Preview" before posting (which I think is a good habit for all of us to have) and receive a message that a new reply has been posted, you won't have to wait 30 seconds to make your post.

I'm going to consider this issue [SOLVED] for now.