An Improper Multiple Integral

In summary, the Lerch Transcendent identity from my paper may or may not be true, for ##N\in\mathbb{Z}^+##, and I forget the domain of z and y. Here it goes:$$\Phi (z,N,y) :=\sum_{q=0}^{\infty}\frac{z^q}{(q+y)^N}$$$$=\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1}\cdots \int_{0}^{1}\prod_{k=1}^{N}\left( \lambda_k^{y-1}\right)\left( 1-z\pro
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
I was writing a paper and derived some results using a theorem that turned out to be false, however some of these results are known to be true, so I am attempting to see if any of these are true, the one I mention here involves the Lerch Transcendent
The Lerch Transcendent identity from my paper which may or may not be true, for ##N\in\mathbb{Z}^+##, and I forget the domain of z and y, here it goes

$$\Phi (z,N,y) :=\sum_{q=0}^{\infty}\frac{z^q}{(q+y)^N}$$
$$=\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1}\cdots \int_{0}^{1}\prod_{k=1}^{N}\left( \lambda_k^{y-1}\right)\left( 1-z\prod_{q=1}^{N}\lambda_q\right)^{-1}\, d\lambda_1d\lambda_2\cdots d\lambda_N$$

Some of the results I got using that untrue theorem were known results that were actually true, but I didn't check all of them, I wish to try to verify this identity by other means but I'll be honest I've not done much math for about 20 years so I need a little guidance here please?

How to handle the infinite discontinuity of the integrand at ##z=\lambda_k=1## for ##k=1,2,\ldots, N##? Do I take the upper bound of each integral to be ##1-\epsilon## and let ##\epsilon\rightarrow 0+##? Or do I have to set each upper bound to be ##1-\epsilon_k## and take a N-dimensional limit? Unsure how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
For ##N\in\mathbb{Z}^+, |z|<1, y\in\mathbb{R}##, define

$$J=\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1}\cdots \int_{0}^{1}\prod_{k=1}^{N}\left( \lambda_k^{y-1}\right)\left( 1-z\prod_{q=1}^{N}\lambda_q\right)^{-1}\, d\lambda_1d\lambda_2\cdots d\lambda_N$$
$$=\lim_{(\epsilon_1,\epsilon_2,\ldots,\epsilon_N )\rightarrow (0,0,\ldots, 0)}\int_{0}^{1-\epsilon_N}\int_{0}^{1-\epsilon_{N-1}}\cdots \int_{0}^{1-\epsilon_1}\sum_{q=0}^{\infty}z^q\prod_{k=1}^{N}\left( \lambda_k^{y+q-1}\right) \, d\lambda_1d\lambda_2\cdots d\lambda_N$$
$$=\lim_{(\epsilon_1,\epsilon_2,\ldots,\epsilon_N )\rightarrow (0,0,\ldots, 0)}\sum_{q=0}^{\infty}\frac{z^q}{(y+q)^N}\prod_{k=1}^{N}\left( 1-\epsilon_k\right) ^{y+q} =\sum_{q=0}^{\infty}\frac{z^q}{(q+y)^N} =:\Phi (z,N,y)$$

Conceivably one may take ##z,y\in\mathbb{C}## such that ##|z|<1##? My complex analysis is rusty to say the least, I can look it up later I guess. So my identity holds, just got to hammer out the domains. I used the N-dimensional limit as being the more general possibility, to cover all my bases. Was there any flaw in my work?

*bump*

Related to An Improper Multiple Integral

1. What is an Improper Multiple Integral?

An Improper Multiple Integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve in multiple dimensions. It is similar to a regular multiple integral, but it involves integrating over an unbounded region or a region with discontinuities.

2. How is an Improper Multiple Integral different from a regular multiple integral?

An Improper Multiple Integral differs from a regular multiple integral in that it involves integrating over a region that is unbounded or has discontinuities. This means that the limits of integration are not finite and may require special techniques to solve.

3. What are some applications of Improper Multiple Integrals?

Improper Multiple Integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and statistics. They are used to calculate volumes, areas, and other quantities in multiple dimensions. They are also used in probability theory to calculate the probability of events in continuous systems.

4. How do you solve an Improper Multiple Integral?

Solving an Improper Multiple Integral involves breaking it down into simpler integrals using techniques such as partial fractions, trigonometric substitutions, or integration by parts. The limits of integration may also need to be adjusted to make the integral finite.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving Improper Multiple Integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving Improper Multiple Integrals include not adjusting the limits of integration properly, forgetting to use the appropriate techniques, and not taking into account any discontinuities in the region of integration. It is also important to check for convergence before solving the integral to ensure accurate results.