An exercise from the book A Mathematical Introduction to Logic

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of navigating a land where people always tell the truth or always lie. The person needs to determine which fork in the road leads to the capital and can only ask one yes-or-no question to a local resident. The suggestion is to make a table with two columns for the two forks and two rows for the truth-telling and lying scenarios to determine the best question to ask.
GreenApple

Homework Statement

you are in a land inhabinated by people who either always tell the truth or always tell falsehoods. You come to a fork in the road and you need to know which fork leads to the capital. There is a local resident there, but he has time only to reply to one yes-or-no question. What one question should you ask so as to learn which fork to take?
suggestion: Make a table.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I asked you 'does the right way lead to the capital?', would you anwser 'yes'?
If the guy reply yes, take the right way. If no, the left.

I am wondering if I am surposed to ask questions about 'future' here?
What exactly does the writer mean by 'make a table'?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a perfectly good answer. As far as "make a table", I suspect it refers to having two columns, whether the right or fork is correct, and two rows, whether the person tells the truth or lies, when considering what results a specific question would get.

The question you proposed is a good one to ask in this scenario. It is important to note that you are not supposed to ask questions about the future, as that would not be a logical approach. The key is to come up with a question that will give you a definite answer, regardless of whether the person always tells the truth or always lies.

As for the suggestion to make a table, this means creating a logical table or chart to map out all the possible scenarios and their outcomes. This can help you come up with a question that will guarantee you the correct answer. For example, you could list all the possible answers the person could give (yes, no, maybe) and then think about what each of those answers would mean in terms of which fork to take. This can help you narrow down the best question to ask.

Related to An exercise from the book A Mathematical Introduction to Logic

1. What is the purpose of an exercise from the book A Mathematical Introduction to Logic?

The purpose of an exercise from the book A Mathematical Introduction to Logic is to provide practice and reinforcement for the concepts and techniques learned in the text. These exercises are designed to help readers better understand and apply the principles of logic to various problems and scenarios.

2. How can I effectively solve an exercise from the book A Mathematical Introduction to Logic?

To effectively solve an exercise from the book A Mathematical Introduction to Logic, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem, analyze the given information, and apply the appropriate logical principles and techniques. It may also be helpful to work through the problem step by step and check for errors along the way.

3. Are there any resources available to help me with the exercises from the book A Mathematical Introduction to Logic?

Yes, there are various resources available to help with the exercises from the book A Mathematical Introduction to Logic. These may include answer keys, online forums or study groups, and supplemental materials provided by the author or publisher. It may also be beneficial to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor.

4. Can I skip the exercises from the book A Mathematical Introduction to Logic and still understand the material?

While it is possible to understand the material without completing the exercises, it is highly recommended to work through them. The exercises provide valuable practice and application of the concepts learned in the text, which can aid in better understanding and retention of the material.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving the exercises from the book A Mathematical Introduction to Logic?

Yes, there may be alternative methods for solving the exercises from the book A Mathematical Introduction to Logic. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, and then use logical reasoning and critical thinking skills to determine the most efficient and accurate method for solving the problem. It may also be beneficial to discuss and compare solutions with others to learn different approaches.