An equation for an algebra word problem

In summary, b is 20% more than a, c is 25% more than b, and d is k% less than c. k can be found such that a=d.
mech-eng

Homework Statement

Suppose that b is 20% more than a, c is 25% more than b, and d is k% less than c. Find k such that a=d

Homework Equations

a=d; b=1.2a; c=1.25b=1.5a

The Attempt at a Solution

1. a=##\frac{c}{15 }##=d=##\frac{100c-k}{100}##
2. By multiplication of extremes and means we get 100c=150c-15.k
3. 50c=1.5k
4. Again simplifying k=33.3c

I have tried above solution but I think something is incorrect because k should be a number not a ratio in terms of c.
I don't latex well enough and it seems that step 1 is not seeming properly, too small symbols.
Source: Algebra and Trigonometry by Keedy Bittinger.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that b is 20% more than a, c is 25% more than b, and d is k% less than c. Find k such that a=d

Homework Equations

3. 50c=1.5k

I have tried above solution but I think something is incorrect because k should be a number not a ratio in terms of c.
I don't latex well enough and it seems that step 1 is not seeming properly, too small symbols.
Thank you.
You have a typo and an error in multi-equation #1.

For one, ##\ \displaystyle a=\frac{c}{1.5} \ ##. (Missed the decimal point.)

More importantly the last part is in error.
##\ \displaystyle \frac{100c-k}{100} \ ##​
is incorrect. ##\ k\ ## must also multiply ##\ c\ ##.

Likes mech-eng
But if ##d## is ##k%## less than ##c##, does not this mean ##\frac{c}-k}{100} ## and isn't it ##\frac{100c-k}{100}##?

And would you please explain why percent sign not appear in this code?
upload_2017-5-8_18-11-8.png

Thank you.

Attachments

• percent sign.png
    percent sign.png
    989 bytes · Views: 534
Last edited:
mech-eng said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

3. 50c=1.5k

Thank you.
You need
$$d =\left( 1 - \frac{k}{100} \right) c$$

Likes mech-eng
$$d =\left( 1 - \frac{k}{100} \right) c$$=##\frac{c}{1.5}##

##50c=15ck##

and k=3.333

Would you please write above in the proper latex form?

Thank you.

@mech-eng, I suggest you check your answer of ##k = 3.333\%## against your initial set of equations ##a=d; b=1.2a; c=1.25b##.

Also, although percentages proper are expressed as ##x/100##, it's easier & faster during calculation to assume 1 = 100%; thus instead of $$d = \left(1 - \frac{k}{100}\right) c$$ you can work more simply with ##d = (1 - k)c##. For that matter you can substitute a temporary value for that expression and do the subtraction later on.

Last edited:
mech-eng said:
$$d =\left( 1 - \frac{k}{100} \right) c$$=##\frac{c}{1.5}##

##50c=15ck##

and k=3.333

Would you please write above in the proper latex form?

Thank you.
That looks proper to me.

Mathematically, it's equivalent to

##\ \displaystyle d = \left(\frac{100-k}{100}\right) c ##

I think the OP was referring to the part of his comment that wasn't already formatted in LaTeX.

Last edited:
##\ \displaystyle d = \left(\frac{100-k}{100}\right) c=\frac c {15} ##

I added the right side but is it proper. I didn't used symbols such as \left and \right.
The following is what I added there. But it is not the same when it is on the right side. Would you please explain this?
## \frac c {15}##

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
##\ \displaystyle d = \left(\frac{100-k}{100}\right) c=\frac c {15} ##

I added the right side but is it proper. I didn't used symbols such as \left and \right.
The following is what I added there. But it is not the same when it is on the right side. Would you please explain this?
## \frac c {15}##

Thank you.
Proper in what way?

You dropped the decimal point from 1.5 again, otherwise, it looks right math-wise .

By the way: for % symbol in LaTeX, use \ suffix as in \%.

## 7\% ## or ##k\%##

SammyS said:
Proper in what way?

You dropped the decimal point from 1.5 again, otherwise, it looks right math-wise .

Sorry. Question is solved. But look the Latex. Their size of the c/15 parts are different.

Thank you.

Related to An equation for an algebra word problem

1. What is an equation for an algebra word problem?

An equation for an algebra word problem is a mathematical expression that represents a relationship between two or more unknown quantities. It is often written using variables, such as x and y, and symbols like +, -, *, and /. The goal is to solve the equation and find the values of the unknown quantities.

2. How do I create an equation for an algebra word problem?

To create an equation for an algebra word problem, first identify the unknown quantities and assign them variables. Then, read the word problem carefully and use the information given to write an equation that represents the relationship between the unknown quantities. Finally, solve the equation to find the values of the unknown quantities.

3. Can I use any equation to solve an algebra word problem?

No, you cannot use any equation to solve an algebra word problem. The equation must accurately represent the relationship between the unknown quantities in the given word problem. It is important to carefully read and understand the word problem before creating an equation.

4. What are some common strategies for solving algebra word problems?

There are various strategies for solving algebra word problems, but some common ones include: creating an equation, using logical reasoning, drawing diagrams or graphs, and working backwards from the given solution. It is important to choose a strategy that works best for the specific problem.

5. How do I check my answer for an algebra word problem?

To check your answer for an algebra word problem, you can substitute the values of the unknown quantities into the original equation. If the equation is balanced and both sides are equal, then your answer is correct. You can also use estimation or plugging in the values to see if the solution makes sense in the given context of the word problem.