An elusive trig proof I can't seem to get

• Thread starter SpecialKM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof Trig
In summary, to prove (sin(x)+ tan(x))/(cos(x)+ 1)= tan(x), you can use the fact that tan(x)=sin(x)/cos(x) and factor out tan(x) from the numerator to cancel out with the denominator. This results in cos(x)+1, which is equal to tan(x).
SpecialKM

Homework Statement

Prove that:

(sin(x)+ tan(x))/(cos(x)+ 1)= tan(x)

Homework Equations

There are just trig identities that we can use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted every possible way I can think of and it would just look like jibberish here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you wrote, sin(x)+ tan(x)/cos(x)+ 1= tan(x). isn't true! For example, if x= 0, then sin(x)= sin(0)= 0, tan(x)/cos(x)= tan(0)/cos(0)= 0/1= 0 so the left side is 1. But the right side, tan(x)= tan(0), is 0.

What I think you meant was (sin(x)+ tan(x))/(cos(x)+ 1)= tan(x).

If you multiply both sides of the equation by cos(x) you get
(sin(x)cos(x)+ sin(x))/(cos(x)+ 1)= sin(x).

Sorry yeah, that's what I meant, my mistake. I'll change that right now.

Use the fact that tan(x)=sin(x)/cos(x). The proof should just involve two lines of algebra.

factor out tan(x) from numerator and u get cos(x)+1 which cancels with denominator

Related to An elusive trig proof I can't seem to get

1. Why is this trig proof considered elusive?

This trig proof is considered elusive because many people have attempted to solve it but have been unsuccessful.

2. What makes this proof challenging?

This proof involves complex trigonometric identities and requires a high level of mathematical understanding and problem-solving skills to solve.

3. How can I approach solving this proof?

One approach is to break down the proof into smaller, more manageable steps and use known trigonometric identities to simplify the problem. Another approach is to use visual aids, such as diagrams or graphs, to better understand the problem.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for solving this type of proof?

Some tips for solving elusive trig proofs include practicing with similar problems, double-checking your work, and asking for help or guidance from a teacher or tutor.

5. Is it necessary to memorize all trigonometric identities to solve this proof?

No, it is not necessary to memorize all trigonometric identities. It is more important to understand the relationships between the identities and how they can be used to simplify the problem at hand.