An Electrostatics Problem - Eletric Field

In summary, Yukimi was trying to solve for the net field due to two charges at different locations, but got confused and incorrectly got the magnitude of the field.
Yukimi

Homework Statement

Question 2.2
http://www.studyjapan.go.jp/en/toj/pdf/08-007.pdf
The picture is in the next page of the problem.

• k is the Coulomb constant.
  • q+ is the charge at point A.
  • q- is the charge at point B.
  • AC = BC = CD = a

Homework Equations

E = kq/d²
a² = b² + c²

The Attempt at a Solution

I put the vectors on the force line at AD and DB, adding the vectors we get the eletric field at point D, the problem is that when I use a² = b² + c² (observe that is a right triangle) I get the result Kq/a, answer D, but the correct answer is B. Where is wrong?

I have just learned Electrostatics, maybe it is a simple problem, but I can not solve.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Yukimi! Welcome to PF! :wink:
Yukimi said:
I put the vectors on the force line at AD and DB, adding the vectors we get the eletric field at point D, the problem is that when I use a² = b² + c² (observe that is a right triangle) I get the result Kq/a, answer D, but the correct answer is B. Where is wrong?

Show us how you got Kq/a. :smile:

As I said, I got by doing the addition of the vectors from A to D (force line from charge q+) and from D to B (force line from charge q-), I did that because the final vector will be the electric field at point D (Ed), using the pythagorean theorem (it is a right triangle, because DC and AB are perpendicular) I got AD = AB = a times square root of 2, using the pythagorean theorem one more time I got Ed = Kq/a.

I don't understand how you avoided getting a square on the bottom. :confused:

Sorry, I don't understand, are you saying about the equation using the pythagorean theorem? If that is the case, here is how I did:

AB² + CD² = AD²
a² + a² = AD²
a*root 2 = AD

Ead² + Edb² = Ed²
(kq/a*root 2)² + (kq/a*root 2)² = Ed²
2[(kq)²/2a²] = Ed²
kq/a = Ed

Ah. The magnitude of the field strength for a charge at distance a√2 is

E = k*q/(a√2)2 = k*q/(2a2)

That's the magnitude of the field due to one charge. Resolve this into components via geometry for both of the charge sources. Add the like components to find the net field.

Yukimi said:
Ead² + Edb² = Ed²

(kq/a*root 2)² + (kq/a*root 2)² = Ed²

(kq/(a*root 2)²)² + (kq/(a*root 2)²)² = Ed² :wink:

wow What stupid mistake!

Thank you both! ^_____^

Related to An Electrostatics Problem - Eletric Field

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charge has on other charges in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by a stationary or moving charged particle. The electric field lines point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric field?

The formula for calculating electric field is E = F/q, where E represents electric field, F represents force, and q represents the charge of the particle.

4. How does distance affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source charge. This means that as the distance increases, the strength of the electric field decreases.

5. What is the unit of measurement for electric field?

The unit of measurement for electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system, or volts per meter (V/m) in other systems of measurement.