An Electron coming from the nucleus in Beta Decay?

In summary, the conversation was about Beta Decay and the role of quarks in the process. The Physics teacher explained that electrons can come from the nucleus due to the decay of u-quarks into d-quarks, resulting in the creation of a positron and electron-antineutrino. The concept was further clarified with a diagram and the mention of related processes such as positron emission and electron capture. The person asking for clarification expressed their gratitude for the contributions.
MattA147
Hi guys, essentially I have been talking with my Physics teacher about Beta Decay and she was saying that sometimes electrons come from the nucleus because of the quarks in the protons and the neutrons? I didn't fully understand it so I have likely got it wrong what she was trying to explain. Do you know what I am trying to get at? It would great if anyone could give me any sort of clarification. Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MattA147! :smile:

See eg http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age16-19/Nuclear physics/Nuclear structure/text/Quarks_/index.html, and …

3.png

The underlying process is that an u-quark can decay into d-quark plus positron and electron-antineutrino. On the level of the nucleon it's the the proton (uud) that decays into a neutron (udd) plus positron and electron-antineutrino. So there "are no electrons and positrons inside the nucleus", but there is a decay of the quarks where these new particles are created.

Thank you very much for your help it has certainly made a difference thanks again for everyone's contributions. :)

Related to An Electron coming from the nucleus in Beta Decay?

1. What is Beta Decay?

Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an unstable nucleus emits a beta particle (an electron) in order to become more stable.

2. How does an electron come out of the nucleus in Beta Decay?

In beta decay, a neutron in the nucleus is converted into a proton and an electron. The electron is then emitted from the nucleus, carrying away excess energy.

3. What is the role of the electron in Beta Decay?

The electron emitted in beta decay is a product of the conversion of a neutron into a proton. Its role is to help balance the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, making it more stable.

4. How is Beta Decay different from Alpha Decay?

In alpha decay, a helium nucleus (2 protons and 2 neutrons) is emitted from the nucleus, while in beta decay, an electron is emitted from the nucleus. Alpha decay occurs in heavier elements, while beta decay can occur in both heavy and light elements.

5. Is Beta Decay dangerous?

Beta decay can be dangerous if a large amount of radioactive material is present and the electrons emitted have high energy. However, in most cases, beta particles cannot penetrate deeply into the body and are easily shielded by materials such as clothing or a thin sheet of metal.