An electric potential is given in volts by

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the electric field at a given point using the equation E = -∇φ. The process of finding the electric field is correct but it is important to note that ∇ is a vector and the magnitude of a vector should not be calculated by adding its components.
zhillyz

Homework Statement

An electric potential is given in volts by;

[itex]\phi (x,y,z) = 20x - 12y^2 +2yz[/itex],

where x,y and z are measured in metres. Find the magnitude of the electric field [itex]E[/itex] at the point(1,1,3).

Homework Equations

[itex]E = -\nabla \phi [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]-\nabla \phi = -1*(\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial z})[/itex]
[itex] = -1*((20)+(24y +2z)+(2y)) = -1*(20+24+6+2) = -52Vm^-1[/itex]

I just wanted to know if I have used the right equation, the process is okay and if there is an occasion I should not use this equation? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi zhillyz! :smile:
zhillyz said:
[itex]E = -\nabla \phi [/itex]

[itex]-\nabla \phi = -1*(\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial z})[/itex]

no, ∇ is a vector

(and the magnitude of (a,b,c) isn't a + b + c, is it? :wink:)​

I'm sorry perhaps you could elaborate but I think that the electric field 'E' is equal to negative grad phi, grad being the gradient of a vector as you say. Do you merely mean I should not add the sums together at the end as this would make it scalar? ie,

[itex] 20i +30j+2k[/itex]

zhillyz said:
… grad being the gradient of a vector as you say …

no, phi is a scalar, grad phi is the gradient of a scalar, it is a vector

what is the magnitude of a vector (a,b,c) ? :smile:

[itex] -20i + -30j + -2k = E, |E|= \sqrt {(-20^2) + (-30^2) + (-2k^2)}[/itex]

Better?

yup! :biggrin:

(i'm assuming that last "k" is a misprint :wink:)

Related to An electric potential is given in volts by

What does it mean when an electric potential is given in volts?

An electric potential given in volts refers to the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is a measure of the force that drives electric current through a circuit.

How is electric potential measured?

Electric potential is measured in units of volts (V). It can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit.

What factors affect electric potential?

Electric potential is affected by the amount of charge present, the distance between charges, and the material properties of the medium through which the charges are moving.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the force that drives electric current through a circuit, while electric potential energy is the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is a measure of the force, while electric potential energy is a measure of the work that can be done by that force.

How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential is related to electric field through the equation V = Ed, where V is the electric potential, E is the electric field, and d is the distance between charges. This equation shows that electric potential and electric field are directly proportional to each other.