An electric dipole consists of a pair of equal but opposite charges

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electric potential in relation to an electric dipole consisting of equal but opposite charges. The formula for electric potential is mentioned and the potential at a point midway between the source charges is found to be 0. The question is raised as to why it is 0 and if the potential energy would be used if a negative charge was placed at that point. It is explained that potentials are relative and only potential difference matters. The attachment provided shows the diagram of the electric potential at various points in the field produced by the dipole. The concept of a reference potential at infinity is also discussed.
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

An electric dipole consists of a pair of equal but opposite charges, +Q and -Q separated by a distance d. What is the electric potential at the point that's midway between these source charges?

Through using the formula electric potential = kQ/r, I found the electric potential at P to be 0. Electric potential is the amount of potential energy each coulomb of charge would possesses in an electric field right, so then why is it 0. If I place a negative charge at Point P, won't it be attracted to the +ve charge and repel by the negative charge. Won't it use potential energy to accelerate towards the +ve charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
needingtoknow said:
I found the electric potential at P to be 0. Electric potential is the amount of potential energy each coulomb of charge would possesses in an electric field right, so then why is it 0. If I place a negative charge at Point P, won't it be attracted to the +ve charge and repel by the negative charge. Won't it use potential energy to accelerate towards the +ve charge?
You're confusing potential with gradient of potential. The field is the gradient of the potential, and this is what causes the force on a test charge.

I don't like the question, though. Potentials are not absolute. It's only potential difference that matters. You can take the potential at any point to be your reference potential (zero) and measure all other potentials in relation to it. The question only works if you specify also that the potential at infinity is zero.

Does it matter that the point is 0 V only relative to other points as well. I don't think I am asking the question correctly, so I have attached a picture of the question which has the diagram too. It is part b).

Attachments

• physics question.PNG
    physics question.PNG
    15.2 KB · Views: 508
needingtoknow said:
Does it matter that the point is 0 V only relative to other points as well.
Not exactly sure what you are asking there.
There is nothing special about 0V, it's an arbitrary reference point. As the attachment states, what matters is potential difference, i.e. the difference in voltage between two points.

The attachment says the diagram shows "the electric potential at various points in the field they produce". That's a little misleading, because you could add some constant to every value and it would be effectively the same. On the other hand, it is customary to set the 0 V level as the potential "at infinity", which is perhaps assumed here. Or, equivalently, you could interpret the statement as meaning the charges add those potentials to an assumed background potential of zero everywhere.

I can confirm that your understanding of electric potential is correct. However, in this specific scenario, the electric potential at the point midway between the two charges is indeed 0. This is because electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge, and at this point, the potential energy is balanced between the attractive force towards the positive charge and the repulsive force towards the negative charge. Therefore, the net potential energy experienced by a charge placed at this point is 0.

In other words, the electric potential at a point is not solely determined by the presence of a charge at that point, but also by the distribution of charges in the surrounding area. In this case, the two charges of the electric dipole create an equal and opposite electric field, resulting in a net electric potential of 0 at the point midway between them.

It is important to note that this does not mean that there is no electric field at this point. The electric field is still present and will still exert a force on any charged particle placed there. It is just that the net potential energy experienced by a charge at this point is 0.

I hope this clarifies why the electric potential at this point is 0. It is a result of the balance of forces created by the electric dipole.

Related to An electric dipole consists of a pair of equal but opposite charges

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal but opposite charges, separated by a small distance, that creates a dipole moment in an electric field.

2. How is an electric dipole created?

An electric dipole can be created by bringing two equal but opposite charges close together. This can also occur in certain molecules where the distribution of charges is uneven.

3. What is the significance of an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and the interaction between charges. It is also a key concept in the study of electromagnetism and is used in various applications such as in capacitors and antennas.

4. How does an electric dipole interact with an electric field?

An electric dipole will experience a torque when placed in an electric field, causing it to align itself with the field. It will also experience a force parallel to the field lines, either attracting or repelling it depending on the orientation of the dipole.

5. Can an electric dipole be neutral?

No, an electric dipole cannot be neutral as it consists of two equal but opposite charges. However, the overall charge of the dipole may be neutral if the two charges are equal in magnitude.