Find the total distance traveled by the object

In summary, we have an object moving along a curve in the xy-plane with position (x(t), y(t)) at time t and given equations dx/dt = cos(t^3) and dy/dt = 3sin(t^2) for 0<= t<= 3. At time t=2, the object is at position (4,5). To find the equation for the line tangent to the curve at (4,5), we use the slope formula and substitute t=2, giving us a slope of 15.6. This gives us the equation y-5=15.6(x-4). The speed of the object at time t=2 is found by taking the square root of the
Leighton
An object moving along a curve in the xy-plane has position (x(t), y(t)) at time t with dx/dt = cos(t^3) and dy/dt 3sin(t^2) for 0<= t<= 3. At time t=2, the object is at position (4,5).
a. Write an equation for the line tangent to the curve at (4,5).
b. Find the speed of the object at time t=2.
c. Find the total distance traveled by the object over the time interval 0<=t<=1.
d. Find the position of the object at time t=3.

a. I found the slope by 3sin(t^2)/cos(t^3) (t->2)
I get 15.6
so y-5=15.6(x-4)?

b. Sqrt[(x'(t))^2 + (y'(t)^2)]
so I just squared the givens (with t=2)
= 2.3166 ?

c. Integral (0 to 1) Sqrt[(cos(t^3))^2 + (3sin(t^2))^2]
= 1.458

d. Not sure what to do about this part...

Physics news on Phys.org
haha! Irony... I was doing the same exact test! You ready for the BC exam Leighton? I got this test off from AP Central... they also posted the grading sheet...

part d...

Integral (2 to 3) cos(x^3) dx = [f(3) - f(2)]i = -0.046
Integral (2 to 3) 3sin(x^2) dx = [f(3) - f(2)]j = -0.093

[f(3)-f(2)+f(2)]i=f(3)i=-0.046+4=3.95i
[f(3)-f(2)+f(2)]j=f(3)j=-0.094+5=4.91j

(3.95,4.91) is the final answer... :)

ARG, I was so mad at the first part because I forgot about the parametric equations... that the dx/dt=Vi dy/dt=Vj and V=Vi+Vj, argggggggggg! :) Anyways.

a. The equation for the line tangent to the curve at (4,5) can be found using the point-slope form, where m is the slope at the given point: y - y1 = m(x - x1). Substituting the given values, we get y - 5 = (3sin(4^2))/(cos(2^3))(x - 4). Simplifying, the equation is y = 3.9x - 15.6.

b. The speed of the object at time t=2 can be found using the given formula: speed = sqrt[(dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2]. Substituting the given values, we get speed = sqrt[(cos(2^3))^2 + (3sin(2^2))^2] = 2.3166.

c. To find the total distance traveled by the object over the time interval 0<=t<=1, we can use the formula for distance: d = integral (0 to 1) sqrt[(dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2] dt. Substituting the given values, we get d = integral (0 to 1) sqrt[(cos(t^3))^2 + (3sin(t^2))^2] dt = 1.458.

d. To find the position of the object at time t=3, we can use the given position equation (x(t), y(t)) and substitute t=3. This gives us the position (x(3), y(3)) = (cos(3^3), 3sin(3^2)) = (0.998, 3.746).

1. What does "total distance traveled" mean?

"Total distance traveled" refers to the sum of all the distances covered by an object during its motion. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the movement.

2. How do you calculate the total distance traveled by an object?

To calculate the total distance traveled by an object, you need to add up all the individual distances covered by the object during its motion. This can be done by using the formula: total distance = distance 1 + distance 2 + distance 3 + ... + distance n.

3. What units are used to measure total distance traveled?

The units used to measure total distance traveled depend on the unit of measurement used for the individual distances. For example, if the individual distances are measured in meters, then the total distance traveled will also be measured in meters. It is important to ensure that all distances are measured in the same unit before calculating the total distance traveled.

4. Can the total distance traveled be negative?

No, the total distance traveled cannot be negative. Distance is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction. Therefore, all distances are considered positive values. If an object travels in the opposite direction, the distance will be calculated as a negative value, but when added to the other distances, it will result in a positive total distance traveled.

5. Is the total distance traveled the same as displacement?

No, the total distance traveled and displacement are not the same. Displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the straight line distance between the starting and ending points of an object's motion. It only takes into account the magnitude and direction of the movement, whereas total distance traveled considers all distances covered, regardless of direction.