An alternative to Metropolis Monte Carlo

• Thread starter christianjb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Monte carlo
In summary, the conversation discusses a variation on the standard MMC algorithm for sampling according to a probability distribution. The variation involves accepting a move with a probability based on the ratio of the probabilities of the current and trial points. This variation still obeys detailed balance and it is noted that the standard choice of alpha=0 is the best choice. The conversation ends by wondering if there are any other solutions to the MMC algorithm.
christianjb
Has anyone come across this? I 'invented' it last night, but I'm sure it was discovered decades ago- either that, or it's wrong.

The standard problem is to sample according to a probability distribution P(x).

In standard MMC, this is achieved by:

1) Pick a trial point x' at random within x-dx..x+dx.

2) If P(x')>P(x) then accept the move- set x=x' and return to 1

3) If P(x')<P(x) then accept the move with a probability P(x')/P(x). If move is accepted then set x=x' and return to 1. If move is rejected- just return to 1 without changing x.

-------------------------------
My variation is this

1) Pick a trial point x' at random within x-dx..x+dx

2) Accept move with probability P(x')/(P(x)+P(x')). If move is accepted then set x=x' and return to 1. If move is rejected- just return to 1 without changing x.

It's quite easy to show that both methods obey 'detailed balance'. I'm not sure if there's any advantage of the variation- but it's interesting that an alternative to the standard algorithm exists.

Physics news on Phys.org
After some playing around- I found this 'generalized' rule

if P(x')>P(x) accept with probability 1/(alpha P(x)/P(x')+1)
if P(x')<P(x) accept with probability 1/(alpha + P(x')/P(x))

where alpha is a number between 0 and 1.

If alpha = 0 then it reverts to the normal MMC method.
If alpha = 1 then it reverts to my above variation, but any value of alpha works.

It's clear that (the standard choice) alpha=0 is the best choice, because it gives a 100% probability of acceptance if P(x)=P(x'). So- the text-books don't have to be rewritten.

Still, it's nice to see that variants exist on the MMC algorithm. I wonder if there are any other solutions?

Last edited:
wow that's really cool, i had never heard of that before, you are very smart to figure that out

Related to An alternative to Metropolis Monte Carlo

1. What is "An alternative to Metropolis Monte Carlo"?

"An alternative to Metropolis Monte Carlo" refers to a method used in computational physics and statistical mechanics to estimate the behavior of a physical system. It is a variation of the Metropolis Monte Carlo algorithm that aims to improve the efficiency and accuracy of simulations.

2. How does "An alternative to Metropolis Monte Carlo" differ from the traditional Metropolis Monte Carlo?

The main difference between "An alternative to Metropolis Monte Carlo" and the traditional Metropolis Monte Carlo is the way in which the proposed moves are accepted or rejected. In the traditional method, moves are accepted based on a probability determined by the energy difference between the current and proposed states. In the alternative method, moves are accepted based on a pre-defined criterion, such as the energy of the proposed state being lower than the current state.

3. What are the advantages of using "An alternative to Metropolis Monte Carlo"?

The alternative method has been shown to have better convergence properties and can provide more accurate estimates of physical quantities compared to the traditional Metropolis Monte Carlo. It also allows for more flexibility in choosing the acceptance criteria, which can be tailored to specific systems and simulations.

4. Are there any limitations to using "An alternative to Metropolis Monte Carlo"?

Like any other computational method, "An alternative to Metropolis Monte Carlo" has its limitations. It may not be suitable for all types of systems, and the choice of acceptance criterion can greatly affect the results. It also requires careful tuning of parameters to ensure accurate and efficient simulations.

5. How is "An alternative to Metropolis Monte Carlo" used in scientific research?

"An alternative to Metropolis Monte Carlo" is widely used in various fields of physics, chemistry, and materials science to study the behavior of complex systems that cannot be solved analytically. It has been used in research on various topics such as protein folding, phase transitions, and chemical reactions to gain insights into the underlying mechanisms and properties of these systems.