Amplitude of particles in progressive waves

In summary: A pure standing wave, which is equivalent to two equal waves progressing in opposite directions, the constructive/destructive interference between the waves works out such that at some fixed points (the nodes) there is always maximum destructive interference and hence the amplitude is zero, and at other fixed points (the antinodes) there is always maximum constructive interference and hence the amplitude is twice that of the individual waves.
Krisd98

Homework Statement

I don't understand how all the particles in a progressive wave can have the same amplitude. Surely they're all moving along the wave therefore cannot have the same amplitude.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your statements under (1). First of all, it is not true for all progressive waves that all particle motions have the same amplitude. However, for some waves the amplitudes are the same — why would you say that they can't be?

olivermsun said:
I don't understand your statements under (1). First of all, it is not true for all progressive waves that all particle motions have the same amplitude. However, for some waves the amplitudes are the same — why would you say that they can't be?
in my textbook I have a table of comparisons between progressive and stationary waves. It says that in stationary waves the amplitude of the particles differs from 0 at the nodes and max at the antibodies. It then says that in progressive waves the amplitude of the particles is the same for all particles. I don't understand why all the particles have the same amplitude in a progressive wave

"Ideal" progressive waves have to progress (travel) along the medium, so each point along the medium is going to be "feel" the passage of each wave as it passes by. It's that cycle of motion as each wave passes by that defines the amplitude.

For a pure standing wave, which is equivalent to two equal waves progressing in opposite directions, the constructive/destructive interference between the waves works out such that at some fixed points (the nodes) there is always maximum destructive interference and hence the amplitude is zero, and at other fixed points (the antinodes) there is always maximum constructive interference and hence the amplitude is twice that of the individual waves.

Related to Amplitude of particles in progressive waves

1. What is the amplitude of particles in progressive waves?

The amplitude of particles in progressive waves is the maximum displacement of the particles from their resting position when the wave passes through them. It is a measure of the energy carried by the wave.

2. How is the amplitude of particles related to the energy of the wave?

The amplitude of particles is directly proportional to the energy of the wave. A higher amplitude means a higher energy wave, while a lower amplitude means a lower energy wave.

3. Can the amplitude of particles change in a progressive wave?

Yes, the amplitude of particles can change in a progressive wave. This can happen due to various factors such as the medium of the wave, the source of the wave, and the distance traveled by the wave.

4. How does the amplitude of particles affect the speed of the wave?

The amplitude of particles does not affect the speed of a wave. The speed of a wave is determined by the properties of the medium it travels through, not the amplitude of the particles.

5. Is there a limit to the amplitude of particles in progressive waves?

There is no theoretical limit to the amplitude of particles in progressive waves. However, in reality, the amplitude of particles may be limited by the physical properties of the medium and the source of the wave.