Ampere's Law: Determining magnetic fields of a shell conductor

In summary, the problem discusses a current of constant density flowing through a long cylindrical conducting shell with inner radius a and outer radius b. Using Ampere's Law, the magnetic field is found to be zero for r < a and μ0J0(r2-a2)/2r for a < r < b and μ0J0(b2-a2)/2r for r > b. The expression for ienc is found by multiplying current density by the cross-sectional area of the cylinder.
Renaldo

Homework Statement

A current of constant density, J0, flows through a very long cylindrical conducting shell with inner radius a and outer radius b. What is the magnetic field in the regions r < a, a < r < b, and r > b? (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: μ0.)

Homework Equations

Ampere's Law
[itex]\oint B \bullet ds[/itex] = μ0ienc

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving for B:

B[itex]\oint ds[/itex] = μ0ienc
B2∏r = μ0ienc

B = μ0ienc/2∏r

At r < a:
B = 0 because ienc at this point = 0

At a < r < b:

B = μ0ienc/2∏r

I don't know how to get ienc. I know it has something to do with the current density.

At r > b:

ienc = itotal, but I would need an expression for the volume of the cylinder.

V = ∏b2h - ∏a2h
V = ∏h(b2-a2)
Ienc = J0V [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] Ienc = J0∏h(b2-a2)

B = μ0ienc/2∏r

B = μ0J0h(b2-a2)/2r

However, by including h, I am introducing variables that the problem hasn't allowed me to use.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Renaldo said:

Homework Statement

A current of constant density, J0, flows through a very long cylindrical conducting shell with inner radius a and outer radius b. What is the magnetic field in the regions r < a, a < r < b, and r > b? (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: μ0.)

Homework Equations

Ampere's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving for B:

B[itex]\oint ds[/itex] = μ0ienc
B2∏r = μ0ienc

B = μ0ienc/2∏r

At r < a:
B = 0 because ienc at this point = 0

At a < r < b:

B = μ0ienc/2∏r

I don't know how to get ienc. I know it has something to do with the current density.

Current = current density times cross-sectional area. What is the cross-sectional area of your cylinder at a < r < b?
At r > b:

ienc = itotal, but I would need an expression for the volume of the cylinder.
No. Volume does not enter the picture. Cross-section does.

That makes sense.

So at a < r < b:

B = μ0J0(r2-a2)/2r

At r > b:

B = μ0J0(b2-a2)/2r

That worked. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Related to Ampere's Law: Determining magnetic fields of a shell conductor

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. It is named after the French physicist André-Marie Ampère, who first described the relationship in the early 19th century.

2. How is Ampere's Law used to determine magnetic fields?

Ampere's Law can be applied to determine the magnetic field around a closed loop by calculating the total current passing through the loop. This can be done by integrating the magnetic field along a closed path, known as the Ampere's Law integral.

3. What is a shell conductor?

A shell conductor is a type of conductor that has a hollow, cylindrical or spherical shape. It is commonly used in electrical engineering and is often made of metal, such as copper or aluminum.

4. How is Ampere's Law used to determine the magnetic field of a shell conductor?

In order to determine the magnetic field of a shell conductor using Ampere's Law, we must first identify the closed path that surrounds the conductor. We then calculate the total current passing through this path, which is equal to the current flowing through the shell conductor. Finally, we use the Ampere's Law integral to calculate the magnetic field at any point along the path.

5. What are some real-world applications of Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing and analyzing electromagnetic devices like motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in the study of Earth's magnetic field. Additionally, Ampere's Law is essential in the development of electronics and communication technologies.