Ampere's Law Application Problem

In summary: But the some of those pieces will add up to zero.In summary, the book states that when the radius ρ is larger than the outer radius of the outer conductor, no current is enclosed and the magnetic field from the inner and outer conductor will completely cancel each other, resulting in a net magnetic field of zero. However, this only applies to a symmetrical configuration and is not applicable to asymmetrical configurations where the net current through a given path is still zero but the magnetic field may not be constant in magnitude.
BlackMelon

Homework Statement

I want to know why the book says that when ρ>c, there is no current and the magnetic will be zero

Homework Equations

Hø=I/2∏ρ

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to find the magnetic between the gap by using the formula... I've found that the magnetic magnetic field between the outer conductor and the inner one will try to cancel each other...

I think the book shouldn't just say that when ρ>c, there's no current and the field will be zero. It should say that the magnetic field from the inner and the outer conductor will completely cancel each other.

Here is the book: https://www.mediafire.com/?f0cpqvavy1ddl29

PS: The problem is on pages 190-192 of the attached book

Attachments

• A1.PNG
    A1.PNG
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,535
  • A2.PNG
    A2.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BlackMelon said:

Homework Statement

I want to know why the book says that when ρ>c, there is no current and the magnetic will be zero
[

I don't see the distinction between saying 'the fields cancel' and 'the currents cancel'. Both are correct.

Rude man, if the outer layer of the conductor doesn't completely enclose the inner one but it carries the same magnitude of current as the inner one in an opposite direction, will the fields cancel each other completely? (In the case that my chosen magnetic field (H) path encloses both inner and outer conductors and vice versa)

Attachments

• P_20140807_115310.jpg
    P_20140807_115310.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 356
BlackMelon said:
Rude man, if the outer layer of the conductor doesn't completely enclose the inner one but it carries the same magnitude of current as the inner one in an opposite direction, will the fields cancel each other completely? (In the case that my chosen magnetic field (H) path encloses both inner and outer conductors and vice versa)

You'd have to draw me a picture of how the outer conductor somehow doesn't fully enclose the inner one. That certainly isn't the case with your illustration.

I have to warn you that the only reason you get a nice homogeneous B field around a circular path enclosing a wire carrying a current is if (1) the wire is of infinite length, and (2) the symmetry of the configuration is maintained. In other words, the configuration must be symmetrical as you go around the circular path.

I've started to confuse about words from the book that I've attached to the very first post. Could you explain me the sentence at the page 191 "If the radius ρ is larger than the outer radius of the outer conductor, no current is
enclosed" and how is it different from my second post?

Thanks

BlackMelon said:
I've started to confuse about words from the book that I've attached to the very first post. Could you explain me the sentence at the page 191 "If the radius ρ is larger than the outer radius of the outer conductor, no current is
enclosed" and how is it different from my second post?

Thanks

The image in your second post shows an asymmetry in the outer conductor. So the H field is not constant in magnitude as you go around your indicated path.

But the net current through the path is still zero: I + (-I) = 0 and the contour integral ∫H*ds = 0 also.

H*ds is the dot product of H and element of path length ds. H and ds are vectors.

So even a broken shield in my second post can still be a perfect magnetic shield? (Just let the shield carry the same amount of current as the conductor inside?)

No. Only the integral ∫H*ds = 0. H will not be zero everywhere around a contour outside the cable. But the integral will. So, as you go around the cable there will be places where H > 0 and other places where H < 0 (opposite direction).

Related to Ampere's Law Application Problem

1. What is Ampere's Law and what is its significance in physics?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through the loop. It is significant because it allows us to calculate the magnetic field in situations where it may be difficult to do so using other methods.

2. What is an Ampere's Law application problem?

An Ampere's Law application problem involves using the law to solve for the magnetic field in a specific scenario, such as a current-carrying wire or a solenoid. These problems often require the use of mathematical equations and knowledge of the properties of magnetic fields.

3. How do you know when to use Ampere's Law in a problem?

Ampere's Law should be used when the problem involves a closed loop and the magnetic field is either constant or can be calculated at any point on the loop. It is also useful when the problem involves symmetrical and uniform magnetic fields.

4. What are the steps for solving an Ampere's Law application problem?

The first step is to identify the closed loop and the direction of the current passing through it. Then, determine the direction of the magnetic field at different points on the loop. Next, calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field at each point. Finally, use the equation for Ampere's Law to solve for the total magnetic field around the loop.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an Ampere's Law application problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using the wrong equation, not considering the direction of the current or magnetic field, and not properly calculating the magnitude of the magnetic field at different points on the loop. It is also important to double-check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.