Ampere's Law and two conducting parallel plates

In summary, the magnetic field inside and outside of the plates is due to the current flowing through the plates. Theargument that the field is zero outside of the plates does not hold up because the amperian loops should cross the plate and have 2 sides parallel to the plate.
latentcorpse
hey sorry for the prolific posting but exam's are coming up and I'm just working through past papers.

two conducting parallel plates have uniform uniform current densities flowing through them parallel to their surface. Use Ampere's Law to find the magnetic field inside and outside the plates.

im quite confused as to where to take my loops here in order to find the field at all the various places I am reuqired to. any suggestions?

also why does the following argument not work here:
integrate round an amperian loop that doesn't intersect either plate and get
B(r)-B(r+dr)=0 as no enclosed current
gives B(r)=B(r+dr) implies B(r)=0 but B goes to 0 at infinity so B is zero outised the plates?

Physics news on Phys.org
What direction do you think the field is in? Use symmetry.

surely it depends on the direction the two currents are flowing in - if they're opposite then they will cancel. I am not sure abou where to put the magnetic field lines when its a plane and not like a wire or something.

also why does my arhument about the field being 0 outside break down here - isn't that legitimiate for showing the field is 0 outside of a solenoid?

Use superposition. Find the field due to one plate, then the other (which will be either symmetric or anti-symmetric) and then add them up.

ok but where do i place my amperian loops

and why is the field not 0 outside the plates according to me argument at the end of post 1?

The ampere loops should be rectangles that cross the plate, and have 2 sides parallel to the plate.

I don't think I get what you mean by your previous argument.

ok so if i integrat round said loop for the top plate i get

int(B.dr) = mu_0 int(K.dA)
int(B.dr)= BL -0.L where L is the length of the loop

so B =mu_0/L int(K.dA)
hows that?

surely my previous argument proves there is no field outside a solenoid? why can't i use it similarly here?

This isn't a solenoid, it's a plate...

Uh. Int(K.dl) not dA since K is a surface current, you integrate over a line.

Draw the thing and see that in the loop, B moves to the right above the plate, and to the left below the plate. Thus B is parallel to dl through the top and bottom lines and perpendicular to dl in the left and right lines.

What do you get for that?

BL-B(-L)=mu_0 KL implies B=mu_0 K/2 from each plate presumably

two questions:
(i) are the field lines from these plates similar to those for a current loop magnetic dipole? i.e. they run parallel to the surface and then curve back round onto the other end of the surface?
(ii)we aren't told the directions of the two currents so how do we know whether they superimpose or cancel each other out?

Related to Ampere's Law and two conducting parallel plates

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through the loop. It states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the product of the electric current passing through the loop and the permeability of free space.

2. How does Ampere's Law apply to two conducting parallel plates?

Ampere's Law can be applied to two conducting parallel plates by considering the electric current passing through one plate and the magnetic field around the other plate. The law states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the product of the electric current passing through the loop and the permeability of free space. In this case, the loop would be a closed path encircling both plates, and the current would be the current passing through one of the plates.

3. What is the significance of two conducting parallel plates in Ampere's Law?

The significance of two conducting parallel plates in Ampere's Law is that it allows us to calculate the magnetic field around one of the plates based on the electric current passing through the other plate. This is useful in understanding the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and how they interact with each other in certain situations.

4. How does the distance between the two conducting parallel plates affect Ampere's Law?

The distance between the two conducting parallel plates does not directly affect Ampere's Law. However, it does affect the strength of the magnetic field around the plates. As the distance between the plates increases, the magnetic field decreases, and vice versa. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the strength of a field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

5. What other factors can affect Ampere's Law in the context of two conducting parallel plates?

Besides the distance between the plates, other factors that can affect Ampere's Law in the context of two conducting parallel plates include the magnitude and direction of the electric current passing through the plates and the permeability of free space. Additionally, the presence of other magnetic fields or materials in the vicinity of the plates can also affect the results obtained from Ampere's Law calculations.