Ampere's Law and charge on the capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses Ampere's law and the equations for finding the displacement current and change in electric flux. The speakers also consider the relationship between displacement current and the current flowing in and out of a capacitor, and discuss the calculations for finding magnetic field strength. There is some confusion about the inclusion of the electric constant, but it is eventually resolved.
jsko

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 7.25.18 PM.png

Number 9

Homework Equations

Ampere's law; B*dl= mu(I_enclosed + I_displace)
I_displace=e_0 * d(E*dA)/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

thumb_IMG_4118_1024.jpg

[/B]
There's no current enclosed, only displacement current. I don't know how to find the change in electric flux, so I don't know how I can compare B1 and B2. I know B1 is just = mu*I/(pi*r)

Physics news on Phys.org
You know how the charge on the capacitor and the current flowing to it are related. You also know the relations between voltage and charge, and voltage and electric field. From all of those, you get the displacement current - how is it related to the current flowing in and out of the capacitor?

Will displacement current = current flowing in and out of capacitor?

If I relate them to area ->
B_2*pi*r = mu*e_0* (pi/4*r^2)/(pi*r^2) * I <-------- ratio of small disk (radius = r/2) over total area of capacitor radius r
B_2= e_0/4 * mu*I/(pi*r)
B_1,3= mu*I/(pi*r)

Except we still have e_0 as a factor, which isn't one of the options...

I can not follow your derivation, where you got e_0 from?

ehild said:
I can not follow your derivation, where you got e_0 from?

Oh nevermind, I got confused... there's no e_0. Thanks! :)

Related to Ampere's Law and charge on the capacitor

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. It states that the integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the current passing through the loop multiplied by a constant known as the permeability of free space.

2. How is Ampere's Law related to charge on a capacitor?

Ampere's Law is not directly related to the charge on a capacitor, as it only applies to steady currents. However, it can be used in conjunction with other laws, such as Gauss's Law, to calculate the magnetic field created by a changing electric field in a capacitor.

3. What is the equation for Ampere's Law?

The equation for Ampere's Law is B x 2πr = μ₀I, where B is the magnetic field, r is the distance from the current-carrying wire, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, and I is the current passing through the loop.

4. How does Ampere's Law relate to Maxwell's equations?

Ampere's Law is one of the four Maxwell's equations, which are a set of fundamental laws that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. Specifically, it is the Maxwell-Ampere equation, which relates the magnetic field to the electric current.

5. What are some real-world applications of Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law has many practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors and generators. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic waves and in the development of technologies like MRI machines. Additionally, it is used in the calculation of inductance in circuits and the design of magnetic shielding.