Ammeter and Wattmeter in ac RLC circuit

In summary, the wattmeter measures the apparent power in an AC RLC circuit. The current value taken by an ammeter is also the rms value.
Deathfish
What type of power rating does a wattmeter measure in an AC RLC circuit? Is the power measured the apparent power or active power, and is this reading the rms value?

Also which current value is taken by an ammeter in an AC rlc circuit? is this also rms value?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I suppose it depends on the device. For example I know the digital one I use can give the instantaneous power or average power.

However on the traditional wattmeter wikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wattmeter
On an ac circuit the deflection is proportional to the average instantaneous product of voltage and current, thus measuring true power, and possibly (depending on load characteristics) showing a different reading to that obtained by simply multiplying the readings showing on a stand-alone voltmeter and a stand-alone ammeter in the same circuit.

There is also a large variety of ammeters out there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammeter

Hi Deathfish! :smile:
Deathfish said:
Is the power measured the apparent power or active power, and is this reading the rms value?

(btw, this isn't really my field, so someone who knows had better check this … :redface:)

The apparent power is the rather silly name for what you get if you're silly enough to multiply the readings of a voltmeter and ammeter, ie Papparent = Vr.m.s.Ir.m.s.. :wink:

The active power (or real power) is the same as the average power, and is measured by the wattmeter, Pactive = Paverage = Vr.m.s.Ir.m.s.cosφ.

I don't think there's any such thing as r.m.s. of power …

even for a zero-reactance (purely resistive) circuit, the (instantaneous) power is P = VmaxImaxcos2ωt = VmaxImax(1 + cos2ωt)/2 …

as a whole it's always positive, so r.m.s.-ing it seems a little silly

in parts, the first part is a constant, while the second part has an average of 0 …

so the first part is Paverage (equal to Pactive, which in this case equals Papparent), VmaxImax/2 = Vr.m.s.Ir.m.s.,

while the second part is s.h.m., and so does have a r.m.s., equal to half the apparent power (but so what? :rolleyes:)

(for a reactive circuit, with phase factor cosφ, P = VmaxImax(cosφ + cos2ωt)/2,

so in that case the first part is Pactive = Paverage = Vr.m.s.Ir.m.s.cosφ = Papparentcosφ, and the second part is exactly the same zero-average s.h.m. as before)​

Related to Ammeter and Wattmeter in ac RLC circuit

What is an ammeter and wattmeter?

An ammeter is a type of electrical instrument used to measure the current flowing through a circuit. A wattmeter, on the other hand, is used to measure the power consumed by a circuit. Both are important tools for analyzing electrical circuits and ensuring their proper functioning.

What is an ac RLC circuit?

An ac RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. These components interact with each other to produce a specific response to an alternating current (ac) input.

What is the difference between an ammeter and a wattmeter?

An ammeter measures the current flowing through a circuit, while a wattmeter measures the power consumed by the circuit. In an ac RLC circuit, the ammeter measures the total current, while the wattmeter measures the total power dissipated in the circuit.

How do I use an ammeter and wattmeter in an ac RLC circuit?

To use an ammeter and wattmeter in an ac RLC circuit, first connect the ammeter in series with either the resistor or the inductor, and then connect the wattmeter in parallel with the entire circuit. Make sure to use the correct units and read the values on the instruments carefully.

What can I learn from an ammeter and wattmeter in an ac RLC circuit?

By using an ammeter and wattmeter in an ac RLC circuit, you can determine the current and power values, respectively. These values can then be used to calculate other important parameters such as voltage, impedance, and phase angle, which can help in understanding the behavior and performance of the circuit.