American Muslim scholars condemn terrorism

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, American Muslim scholars issued an edict condemning terrorism against civilians in response to recent attacks in Britain and other countries. The 18-member Fiqh Council of North America stated that there is no justification in Islam for extremism or terrorism and declared that it is haram, or forbidden, for Muslims to cooperate with any individual or group involved in such acts. The fatwa also called for Muslims to assist law enforcement in protecting civilians and prayed for an end to extremism and terrorism. Similar condemnations have been issued by Muslim leaders in other countries, but some have left room for violence to be used. However, concerns have been raised about the credibility of
The_Professional said:
Did you read the original post I quoted. I see reading comprehension is not one of your strongest points.
Since when did a personal attack became a valid point.

And, I don't have to answer his question which was summed up into an ad hominem.
Well, I see some people have been teaching you big words and giving you a lukewarm understanding of what they actually mean.

An unjustified personal attack is what you mean.

In this case, the attack was justified.

If, for example you came out and supported terroism, calling you a terrorist supporter would not be a personal attack but a statement of fact, would it not?

What you did was to launch an attack on people without thought to their position and demanding that they perform an action based on your personal experience.

You failed to make even the most basic of imperical observations and not that not only do they make statements with their actions every day of their lives but they give their lives with these statements.

You talk of people as though they agree with what is going on in their country and refuse to call them innocents or riteous even when they die. Yes, all those people who die in those line-ups to sign up for the Iraqi Military or the local police force are making a very big statement.

You insult their memories and those of the innumerable more who are wounded in the attempt.

You expect mosques and Imam to make statements to the general population and risk their own lives and the lives of their adherents by identifying themselves as what the terrorists in turn identify as collaberators. You in effect, want them to make statements of principle to appease YOU and risk the lives of their wives and children to satisfy your basic need to dominate them.

Now pardon me for making a judgement of your character but, as I have said before, I have relatives who are Moslem.

I see your assessment of their situation as self serving and to display a total lack of respect and decency.

Remember, the bulk of the followers of Islam in this world and specifically in Iraq are NOT terrorists or fundamentalists. Because they choose not to speak out becasue of fear for their lives should not be taken as an act of complicity and certainly should not become a point of callous judgement by people like yourself who have never lived in terror.

Does that clarify the position?

Physics news on Phys.org
polls show there is a high fraction of people in several countries that actually support terrorism

Including the States... Let's not forget about the IRA, where did they get a lot of there funding from

The Smoking Man said:
Well, I see some people have been teaching you big words and giving you a lukewarm understanding of what they actually mean.

An unjustified personal attack is what you mean.

You're a pompous jerkoff. I'm surprise you lasted this long

It's nice that you felt the need to flex your "intellectual" prowess because a person disagreed with your "ideas". Do you feel better now?

The_Professional said:

It's nice that you felt the need to flex your "intellectual" prowess because a person disagreed with your "ideas". Do you feel better now?
I think Archon has a good point here. The Smoking Man may have been condescending in making his point, and a valid one at that, but responding out of nothing but spite makes you the bigger ass.

Plenty of people, including jews, were considered complicit to the Nazis during WWII because they did what they needed to to keep from being killed or thrown in a prison camp(where they'd likely die). It's easy for people like us to be idealists and say that it's better to stand up against these people than to cower from them. The reality though is that it's not so easy and teh majority of people don't. It would be great for there to be a person daring enough, and perhaps crazy enough, to stand up against these organizations right in their own backyard but you can't denounce them because no such person exists.

So what is your opinion in regard to this point? If you don't have one or one isn't forthcoming then please don't bother responding.

The_Professional said:

All but one of your posts in this thread has been an insult towards someone, and that 1 contained exactly 0 usefull information.

russ_watters said:
What I'm more interested in seeing is people in muslim countries denouncing terrorism, in the same way that a KKK rally in the US gets ten times as many people marching against it than for it.
There are such examples. See http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/AFP/2003/11/21/353151 .

Last edited by a moderator:
I question why Russ want's to see Muslims denounce terror. I for one have yet to see a single anti-terrorism rally anywhere in Canada and most of Europe. Why are you assuming they're against it but needing proof for Muslims?