Ambiguous Math: Juxtaposition vs Multiplication?

In summary, the conversation discusses the ambiguity of using parenthesis in mathematical equations and how it can lead to unclear answers. The example of A / B(C) is given, and it is noted that when using this notation, the division is typically done first. The concept of juxtaposition is also brought up, with some questioning its priority over regular multiplication in PEMDAS/BODMAS. The conversation concludes with a reminder to be clear and aware of nonstandard conventions in mathematical notation.
Deagonx
I am wondering about ambiguous use of maths. Is there a clear answer?

When you use parenthesis incorrectly the answer can come very unclear.

For Example:

A / B(C)

Is quite ambiguous. Do you do the division first, or do you do the multiplication because of the juxtaposition.

I placed a question using that formula into WolfRamAlpha, two different Scientific Calculators, my computers built in calculator, and google.

They all ended up with the answer using the division first.

Without arguing, can someone explain to me juxtaposition? Why does it take priority over regular multiplication.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That does not answer my question. What exactly is juxtaposition?Where does it apply in PEMDAS/BODMAS?

It's ambiguous notation (as you can tell from the poll results from the thread Mark posted), but if you look at the other thread it looks like the consensus is that juxtaposition and multiplication rank equally.

I don't generally trust the consensus.The term 'juxtaposition' implies being very close to. Hence a(b)
Juxtaposition Multiplication... Does it come before regular multiplication and division?

Deagonx said:
I don't generally trust the consensus.

The term 'juxtaposition' implies being very close to. Hence a(b)
Juxtaposition Multiplication... Does it come before regular multiplication and division?
If the thread didn't answer your question, then you didn't read it. Juxtaposition is ordinary multiplication and multiplication and division together are done left to right. But beware people who adopt nonstandard conventions, and make your own formula clear.

Related to Ambiguous Math: Juxtaposition vs Multiplication?

1. What is the difference between juxtaposition and multiplication in ambiguous math?

Juxtaposition is when two numbers or variables are written right next to each other to imply multiplication, while multiplication is explicitly denoted by the symbol "x" or "*".

2. Why is it important to differentiate between juxtaposition and multiplication in ambiguous math?

It is important to differentiate between the two because they have different order of operations, and using the wrong one can lead to incorrect results.

3. How do you solve expressions with both juxtaposition and multiplication in ambiguous math?

The order of operations must be followed, which means multiplication should be performed before juxtaposition. To avoid confusion, parentheses can also be used to explicitly show the intended operation.

4. Can juxtaposition and multiplication be used interchangeably in ambiguous math?

No, they cannot be used interchangeably. Juxtaposition is only used when there is no symbol to explicitly denote multiplication, while multiplication is always denoted by a symbol.

5. Are there any other cases where juxtaposition and multiplication can be ambiguous?

Yes, in some languages where the letter "x" is used as a variable, it can be mistaken for multiplication when written with other numbers or variables. In these cases, it is important to clarify the intended operation to avoid confusion.