AM transmitter from clock oscillator

In summary, if you have a clock's quartz oscillator, you can make an AM transmitter using it, but you may need to make a receiver to take it to a usable frequency. This can be done by changing the capacitors in the circuit.
univeruser
I am having to ask this from lack of electronic components in my area, so, I want to ask if it is possible to make an AM transmitter (short range) using a clock oscillator? I believe it might be possible, but as the crystal is 32768 Hz, it makes sense to ask, what kind of receiver set should I make to receive 3.2 KHz? I have attached a file of a radio circuit from scitoys.com. For this receiver, I believe the only way you can help me is by changing the specifications of the tuning capacitor and the other capacitor in the circuit.

Please help me complete this school project of mine by helping me use the minimal of components to make my transmitter from a clock's quartz oscillator and give the specs for the receiver.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 428
Engineering news on Phys.org
univeruser said:
I am having to ask this from lack of electronic components in my area, so, I want to ask if it is possible to make an AM transmitter (short range) using a clock oscillator? I believe it might be possible, but as the crystal is 32768 Hz, it makes sense to ask, what kind of receiver set should I make to receive 3.2 KHz? I have attached a file of a radio circuit from scitoys.com. For this receiver, I believe the only way you can help me is by changing the specifications of the tuning capacitor and the other capacitor in the circuit.

Please help me complete this school project of mine by helping me use the minimal of components to make my transmitter from a clock's quartz oscillator and give the specs for the receiver.

If your crystal is 32768Hz, then it is nearly 33kHz, not 3.2kHz, which an audio frequency. Even 33kHz is at the low end of the range of frequencies normally used for radio. To adapt your diode detector radio to this frequency you would need a tuning coil inductance of about 100mH for a tuning capacitance of a few hundred pF. Winding this on an air core might be difficult, perhaps a ferrite bar core would help keep the dimensions down.

Unfortunately, this sort of receiver is quite insensitive. To minimise the potential for interference you should not have much transmitter power, so the range may be very short. In addition, at this frequency the wavelength is over 9km, so short wire aerials won't work very well. Actually, I doubt whether 33kHz is the most appropriate frequency for what you are trying to to. Depending on what you want to send, a frequency intended for remote control of models may be more appropriate, and less likely to lead to trouble with interference and possible legal issues.

You must respect whatever regulations apply to the construction and use of radio transmitters in your country. For a school project, this is something you must discuss with your teachers. I suspect that other forum members will have more to say on this subject.

Related to AM transmitter from clock oscillator

1. How does an AM transmitter from clock oscillator work?

An AM transmitter from clock oscillator works by converting the clock signal into a radio frequency carrier wave. This carrier wave is then modulated with the audio signal, creating amplitude variations that can be transmitted through the air to a receiver.

2. What is the purpose of using a clock oscillator in an AM transmitter?

The clock oscillator provides a stable and precise clock signal that is necessary for generating a carrier wave at the desired frequency. It also allows for easy adjustment and fine-tuning of the frequency, which is crucial for AM transmissions.

3. Can any clock oscillator be used to build an AM transmitter?

No, not all clock oscillators are suitable for use in an AM transmitter. The oscillator must have a high enough frequency range and stability to generate a carrier wave in the desired frequency range. Additionally, it must be able to handle the power required for transmitting the signal.

4. Is it possible to build an AM transmitter from a digital clock oscillator?

Yes, it is possible to build an AM transmitter from a digital clock oscillator. However, it may require additional components and modifications to achieve the necessary frequency range and stability. An analog clock oscillator is typically more suitable for this purpose.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with an AM transmitter from clock oscillator?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when working with an AM transmitter from clock oscillator. It is important to use appropriate power sources and to ensure that the transmitter is properly grounded to prevent electric shocks. Additionally, it is essential to comply with local regulations regarding radio frequency transmissions.